Production models only - doors, locks, glazing, seats, trim, ventilation and heater, panels, chassis frame.

Rain leaks in

Post by skotten » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 pm
Anyone know where the rain comes in that lands in front of both the front seats,seems to be a standard problem with most of the CF1.Thank-you for any tips.

Re: Rain leaks in

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:04 pm
Rainwater leaks into the front footwells usually is due to gaps between the windscreen rubber moulding and the glass or body aperture.

Exit points of leaks between the glass and rubber normally can be seen, either from inside the cab or through the glass from outside.
These normally can be dealt with using proprietary clear sealants (e.g. Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure).

Exit points of leaks between the rubber and body often cannot be seen unless viewed from underneath the dash.
Also, water ingress often is at the top of the rubber or along the sides (from the gutter rail drain slot).
Water then will run down between the rubber and body and exit along the bottom edge.

Tex windscreen sealant should fix leaks if the rubber moulding is in good condition and the body aperture metal isn't severely corroded.
Use at least 2 cartridges to seal all around the outside of the rubber.
It is better to clean off excess that squeezes out when the rubber lies flat than not inject enough sealant into the rebate.

If the rubber has deteriorated and split then a new one can be obtained from a number of sellers via eBay UK.
The same rubber moulding fits all CF models.

When sealing the rubber it needs to be held away from the body in order to inject sealant into the rebate instead of just around the edge of the rubber -

Another source of leaks is through the windscreen wiper spindles: water will be seen dripping from the mechanism underneath the dash.
Water resistant grease can be applied to the spindles without removing the complete wiper mechanism.

Any make of water resistant grease can be substituted for Keenol grease.
Black silicone RTV sealant can be substituted for Loctite 598.

The worst leak points to deal with is at the rear top edge of the front wings below the windscreen.
Here the wings are not attached to the body and underneath the edge is a strip of foam rubber that promotes corrosion by holding water against the body.
If this is a problem then there will be signs of corrosion underneath the dash in line with the tops of the wings.
The simplest remedy without removing the front wings is to fill the gap from the top with over-paintable PU (polyurethane) body caulk which remains flexible enough to seal even if paint over the top starts to crack due to panel movement with temperature change.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by skotten » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 pm
I had to send mine into a garage to get it done,i could not get it water tight.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:56 pm
On my CF2 the rubber weatherstrip had gone too hard now to seal: time for a new one ...
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by dormant28 » Subscribing Member » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Hi there, am very interested in this thread as I have the same problem of rainwater leaking into the front footwells of my CF2 (both sides).

I'm pretty sure I need a new windscreen rubber as mine has many cracks..

From what I've read, this seems to be the right one?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cf-bedford-F ... %7Ciid%3A1

I'm currently travelling the UK in my Bedford, and have now reached Scotland at quite a rainy time of year.. So think I'll need to find a local garage to fit the new rubber once I get it - wondered if it'll be best to contact a screen fitter specifically? Also, should I get them to use a particular type of windscreen sealant when fitting the new rubber, to hopefully avoid future leaks?

I've been searching online for 'Tex windscreen sealant' as mentioned above but nothing with that name comes up.. may have changed its name in the intervening yeas, it is now Zettex MS 72 Windshield maybe? and if so are there UK stockists? or would Tiger seal do it?

Many thanks - advice greatly appreciated as keen to acheive a dry cab!

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:19 pm
I've found a better sealant - high modulus polyurethane hybrid adhesive and sealant, e.g. Everbuild Puraflex. Good enough to stick down the knackered screen rubber on my CF2: only leaked when the rubber cracked some more.

Post by [email protected] » Subscribing Member » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 pm
Hi, I bought a new windscreen rubber from East Kent for my CF1. I had it fitted professionally. At first it appeared OK but started leaking water worse than the one I took off. An experienced body repair man thought the rubber was a bit loose. Went back to the fitter twice and he pumped sealant in all round and now it's dry. So who ever fits the new rubber use lots and lots of sealant.

Paul

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 pm
If the windscreen isn't bumped down to fit evenly all the way around then the rubber will be slack and can grin at the corners.

Usually needs a 1kg rubber mallet and an amount of patience to persuade the glass to move to where it should be in small doses.

Post by dormant28 » Subscribing Member » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm
Many thanks for the tips and experience re best sealant type and fitting of the rubber itself - very useful.

I'll contact East Kent tomorrow to see if they can deliver click+collect and seek out a local screen fitter.

During recent travels my screen has picked up a chip, which I've been meaning to get repaired and had best do now ahead of getting the rubber done.

also have a further question.. are screen fitters generally ok about just replacing the rubber (rather than both screen and rubber together) on this age of 'non-standard' screen/vehicle? Just slightly concerned about the screen getting smashed mid rubber-replace/sealant insertion!

Return to “Body and frame”