What gearbox do i have?

Post by autonoom » Sat May 23, 2020 8:55 pm
I've got a bedford cf280 (petrol) and the second and third gear is crunching sometimes. I'm looking trough the haynes manual to find out what gearbox i have, but i can't figure out for sure. I think its a zf-4sp, but i need to be sure. Can someone tell from the picture what gearbox i have?

Re: What gearbox do i have?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 pm
Definitely ZF: look on the other side for an ID plate like this -

• What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by autonoom » Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 pm
It has become unreadable, it's just a black square. Did try to clean it though, but still nothing to read. Going to try to refill the oil, and see if it helps against the crunching sound. But... I can't imagine it would help to really fix it.

But now i'm wondering... Would it be possible to replace the zf with a Vauxhall 4-speed transmission, i know someone who is going to take a cf250 apart that has this type of transmission. Or do i really need to stick to the zf transmission?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat May 23, 2020 10:44 pm
Vauxhall transmission is too light for CF280: stick to ZF.

If 1st and reverse gears also are difficult to engage when the vehicle is stationary then the clutch may be dragging (failing to release properly).

Check the clutch cable and mechanism for lost movement due to wear; remove any floor coverings that can obstruct full pedal travel.

Check the adjustment at the clutch fork: A = 2.5mm with spring detached -

• What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by autonoom » Sun May 24, 2020 2:29 pm
I had no difficulty putting the gear in the 1th, but sometimes i couldn't get it in the reverse position. So today i started with inspecting the clutch cable. And found a surprise, the spring had no pressure on it, it would almost fall of clutch fork. The nut was loose on it and it could be turned it around with my hands. So there was not tension/pressure on the clutch fork at all. So i turned it around with my hands as far as i could and then turned it 2-3 times around with a key. After that i made a test drive and the crunching sound was gone.

So now i am wondering, how much tension does the nut need?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun May 24, 2020 3:33 pm
There should be two nuts on the push rod, the adjusting (ball) nut and a standard hexagon nut as a lock nut -

You may find that the two nuts have been moving together.

If the lock nut is missing then check the screw thread on the push rod.

For the earlier straight push rod in the illustration the thread is 5/16" UNF (like 1/2" AF nuts on the Vauxhall OHC engine).

The later bent push rod can have 5/16" UNF thread or M8 thread (like 13mm AF nuts on the ZF transmission).

Once setting (A) is achieved with the spring detached lock the nuts together.

Post by autonoom » Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm
Thanks Phill, it seems my issue is solved now!

Return to “Manual transmission”