Howling sound from diff or?

Post by CFsleeper » Subscribing Member » Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 pm
Well, my van is getting better and better. But now my attention goes to a howling sound in the back of the van. Could this be the diff or something else? It doesn't sounds like rumbling wheel bearrings. Or do I have to get used to the sound because it's normal 🤔

Re: Howling sound from diff or?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri May 15, 2020 8:36 pm
Howling noises are not normal.

Things to check on a 350 model -

Rear axle oil level.

Tyre pressures. Look for one tyre either side low or flat.

Hub bearings condition and lubrication. Check for slackness and roughness when turning with wheel raised from ground; withdraw axle shaft to examine outer bearing for plenty of grease or grease and oil slurry.

If hub is to be removed to examine the inner bearing then leaving the brake drum attached is fine and also is a lot easier than trying to separate the drum from the hub. Detach handbrake cable at adjuster as well as slacken rear brake adjusters for brake shoes to clear any wear ridges in the drums.

Propellor shaft centre bearing. Detach bearing carrier from the chassis then spin the carrier while checking for bearing noise.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by CFsleeper » Subscribing Member » Fri May 15, 2020 8:40 pm
Complete anwser as always 👍👍 I know what to do in my holyday. Thanks Phill. My van is a cf230, does that make any difference? I replaced the oil last week. More then 2 liters.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm
I was convinced you have a CF350. Duh. CF230 is a bit different... :)

Cancel tyres and also hub bearings unless noises change as the vehicle turns left or right: noise increasing on left turns indicates right hand bearing worn and vice versa.

If the axle oil level is correct (normally 1-inch AF hexagon filler/level plug on 230 models with Bedford axle) then check the propellor shaft centre bearing.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by CFsleeper » Subscribing Member » Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 pm
Do you mean that I put to much oil in it? Should it be 1" below the filler hole? I topped it up until it leveled the hole. Thats what I thought is most common.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat May 16, 2020 2:40 pm
Top up to the level of the hole.

1" is the spanner AF (across flats) size for the filler plug.

Post by CFsleeper » Subscribing Member » Sat May 16, 2020 3:03 pm
👍👍

Post by CFsleeper » Subscribing Member » Sun May 17, 2020 12:36 pm
Well Phil, you're right about the propshaft bearing. 👍👍 you are a walking encyclopedia. It does spin but I can feel the ballbearings resistance in my fingers.
Have to replace it but I see it's quite an expensive bearing. Is there a cheeper alternative from an other car?
Hope the bearing is the solution for the howling sound. Seems to me that it came from more behind. It has a high pitch when accellerating or breaking on the engine. With no power on the drivetrain the sound is gone.
Last edited by CFsleeper on Mon May 18, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun May 17, 2020 2:32 pm
CFsleeper wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:36 pm
With no power on the drivetrain the sound is gone.
Ominous...

For noise only occurring when the drive train is under load in all gears suspect a problem with the rear axle, e.g. pinion meshing incorrect due to wear, spring eye bushes worn to metal.

For noise only occurring in manual transmission intermediate gears but not top gear (1:1) suspect a problem with the transmission, e.g. mainshaft spigot bearing worn.

But stick with the centre bearing for now: not much wear can make a lot of noise that radiates throughout the vehicle.

Has the rubber cushion deteriorated enough to allow the bearing to push against the carrier when the propellor shaft is under load?

Centre bearing is a shielded type: smooth resistance to rotation may not be a fault.

Bearing worn enough to become noisy usually will be dry of lubricant and roughness can be felt when the carrier is spun on the shaft.

A temporary fix is to force some oil past the bearing seal which is best done with the propellor shaft split into two. If the bearing starts to run quietly then you know that it's worn and needs replacing - the noise will come back soon.

Centre bearing with same internal bore for earlier Ford Transit can be made to fit.

Post by CFsleeper » Subscribing Member » Mon May 18, 2020 5:14 pm
Well, center bearing is replaced. As you can see, about time 😁. Used a Ford Transit one and modified it a bit.
Went for a testdrive and sadly, the noice is still there. Especially with constant load at 80 km/h. Up hill with more load the noice is less. So problem seems to be in the rear axle. Is that something that can be fixed? I mean: "pinion meshing incorrect due to wear, spring eye bushes worn to metal". Are those spare parts that I can buy? Don't know what spring eye bushes are. So don't know what to look for. Sorry for my English 🤷‍♂️

Return to “Rear axle and rear suspension”