Early/Late Headlight/Parking Light Wiring

Post by na79 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:27 am
I'm currently re wiring my CF. I have a new dash wiring loom, and a reconditioned engine wiring loom from the later wiring with the fuse box. I also have a new engine wiring loom from the earlier in line fuse setup.

The only differences I can see in the two engine wiring looms are that a few of the pins to the bulkhead connector (the horn for example) are in a different place, and the headlight and parking lights on the earlier loom run a single wire daisy chained through to the next light, whereas the later loom has an individual wire going to each light.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is each light is individually fused on the later version, but that is all.

If I move a few pins on the bulkhead connector so they match up, and delete the extra cables that feed the individual fused lights, can i run the lights in the old daisy chained way, or will it overload the fuses? Or cause any other issues?

Also, I'm going to add a relay into the system as described in one of the previous posts so that I can run Halogen headlights, will this cause any other issues?

Thanks, Nick

Re: Early/Late Headlight/Parking Light Wiring

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:32 pm
Earlier headlamps wiring arrangement (originally for 40/60W pre-focus candles) may be best replaced with later left-right split wiring in order to avoid dim headlamps due to wiring losses and bulkhead connector terminals overload.

Wiring of relays for quartz halogen headlamps will depend on dash and front harness wiring...
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Wiring”