Changing motor mount

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 am
Hi there,
When I changed my transmission I saw that one of the motor mounts is completely gone. I think that that is to be expected with a slant engine leaning to the left and rubber from 1981.
I bought a new engine Mount now.
Is it possible to change that Mount by lifting up the engine a bit with a Jack?
Is the oil pan sturdy enough to hold the motor of I put a floor jack and some blocks of wood under it?
Or should I use a bottle jack and lift it up from the side?

Re: Changing motor mount

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 am
Detach torque reaction bracket from gearbox support crossmember.

Detach radiator hoses. Fan cowl also may have to be detached from the radiator.

Remove air cleaner assembly.

A jack extension (or bottle jack) under the crankcase corner next to the alternator may be required to obtain sufficient lift using the right hand mounting for support.

Wood blocks between oil pan and front axle beam are fine for safety.

It may be necessary to detach part of the exhaust system to avoid damage: watch for its suspension straps being strained.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 am
OK i fixed that without removing the radiator hoses or anything, by lifting up the back of the motor where it meets the gearbox with a bottle Jack. The motor Mount was removed after wiggeling it around a bit, and moving the motor a bit from side to side.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36 am
Well done. :)

A thought: if brackets (3) for automatic transmission are still fitted then they ought to be removed for manual transmission.

Bracket (1) welded to the chassis frame is the same for both transmissions so will have 3/8" UNF threaded holes in the correct places for the crossmember bolts. Rubber insulators, ferrules and washers also are the same for both.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:49 pm
I used a tick steel plate to get the transmission up and bent the screw from the mounting block back to fit the hole. Doesn't look pretty but works.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 pm
With the left side engine mounting replaced maybe the rear mounting will fit better now, like this for Vauxhall 4-speed -

Arrow indicates front.

Return to “Petrol”