clutch centering tool

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm
I Just bought a piece of 30mm aluminium round stock to fabricate a clutch centering tool later today.

Does anybody have such a tool and could provide me measurements, on how to turn the rod?

i know that the tip of the transmission is roughly 15,24mm and the thing behind is roughly 23,8mm inside and 25,3mm on the outside, i would have gone with 23.5mm at the back and 15mm at the tip but how long should i make the tip and should i cone it to 23.5mm?

Maybe someone has a foto of the "official" tool for that job and is able to measure it, would help me.

Thank you

Re: clutch centering tool

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:28 pm
The best clutch aligning tool is a spare main drive pinion but anything cylindrical of similar proportions will do (i.e. spigot diameter and splines outer diameter for sliding fit in the spigot bearing and clutch plate - there is no need to have splines on the tool).

Usually it is easier to install the clutch housing first then the gearbox rather than the whole lot together which can be difficult to keep aligned with the engine.

Make sure that the two locating dowels between the clutch housing and engine are in place. If the dowels are absent then cut new dowels from thinwall tube that when finished is a tight push fit in the engine and clearance fit on the two longer bolts.

Before installing the gearbox select top gear so that the mainshaft can be rotated to align the main drive pinion splines with the clutch hub; if a spare propellor shaft sleeve yoke is available then this will make turning of the shaft a lot easier.

Once the gearbox front face is in contact with the clutch housing the upper two bolts can be loosely fitted to hold the gearbox in place while fitting the lower bolts (clutch fork loose on its pivot).

A 5/8" (~16mm) AF S-shape obstruction spanner is best for tightening the lower bolts but sometimes a slim ring spanner will work just as well.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 am
Hi there,
I know the dowels are present as its not that long ago that i removed the auto box.

i fabricated a clutch allignment tool from wood (wanted to use aluminium but thought that would be a waste)

I will look into if i put in the gearbox with the housing or without. And yes as i have 2.5 driveshafts i have 2 propellor shaft sleeve yokes.

The s shaped spanner is worrying me a bit that is why i originally wanted to mount the transmission including the clutch housing, i mean it worked for the auto transmission. I will see, i have enough helpers who will hold the gearbox and everything including tightening bolts, so no Problem.

I will document everything and tell you how it went.

Here is a gallery including a video i made from machining the clutch allignment tool https://imgur.com/gallery/Qu15ILW

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:54 pm
I used to use a 1/2” drive socket extension and wrap insulation tape round it to fit worked every time until I splashed out on a Sykes Pickavance kit
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:16 pm
VDUB384 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:54 pm
I used to use a 1/2” drive socket extension and wrap insulation tape round it to fit worked every time until I splashed out on a Sykes Pickavance kit
Dave
Oh that Skye's kit looks really professional, I think the wooden tool is a good middle ground between the ghetto tape wrap method and the pickavance
Dave (2)

Return to “Clutch”