Vauxhall Transmission bell housing bolts vs auto transmission bellhousing bolts

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 am
Hello,
I will put in my newly rebuilt vauxhall manual transmission this satureday.
It will replace the gm 3 speed auto box. I would like to know
Are the bolts the same? If not do i need some Bolts which i don't have as the auto box needs different bolts(or doesn't it?)?

Thanks in advance
David

Re: Vauxhall Transmission bell housing bolts vs auto transmission bellhousing bolts

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am
The 5 bolts into the back of the engine are the same for manual or automatic transmission.

Bolts into the clutch housing for the starter motor, relay lever bracket and splash plate are 3/8 inch UNC. (Discard lower stiffener brackets used with automatic transmission.)

Have you seen this topic (spigot bearing for manual transmission)?
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Vauxhall Transmission bell housing bolts vs auto transmission bellhousing bolts

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm
yes the spingot bearing problem is known, there is a guy where i bought parts who said that the hole in the crankshaft is the same size as the one on the diesel crank so i can use a diesel roller bearing.

To the 3/8" UNC screws how long should they be?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:02 pm
zoidberg wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm
... the hole in the crankshaft is the same size as the one on the diesel crank ...
This may be true for the Opel CIH petrol for manual or automatic transmission but not for the Vauxhall OHC engine unless it has the 2684918 crankshaft for manual transmission. Which you won't know until the crankshaft can be measured...

The two 3/8" UNC screws for the relay lever bracket are 1.25 inch long, to be used with rectangular section spring lock washers. Other screws for the splash plate originally were 1/2" long, fitted without washers, but 3/4" long bolts with lock washers don't fall out so quickly.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:15 pm
Ok i ordered the Screws and hope they arrive in time.

For the bearing shim, if its not the 2684918 crankshaft then i will have to create a brass fitting, does this mean i need another bearing (not the diesel bearing)?

I think i will have to undo the transmission converter and flex plate and then measure it and then manufacture a bearing holder in case its not fitting, am i right?

Thank you

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:52 pm
A bronze bush made to fit the crankshaft can be used alone for the spigot bearing, like in the 1960s and earlier for many cars and light vans.

I don't think there is enough room for a brass fitting and roller bearing.

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:52 pm
A bronze bush made to fit the crankshaft can be used alone for the spigot bearing, like in the 1960s and earlier for many cars and light vans.
Ah OK now i get it sorry was a bit slow. What kind of bronze should I use? I will call the local metal shop tomorrow and hope he has something in stock. Or is the bronze type irrelevant?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:38 pm
Sintered bronze for oil retention (like 1960s cars again) but if adhesive has to be used to retain the bush in the crankshaft then plain bronze may have to be used.

Post by zoidberg » Subscribing Member » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:23 pm
Hmmm so i only know what the measurements will be after i removed the torque converter, this means I have to remove everything and have done bronze at my hand and make a bushing ? As the size of the bore is an unknown factor?
Hmmmm that is a bit unsatisfying...

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:47 pm
Yes, for every automatic to manual conversion on the Vauxhall OHC engine that I've been involved in over the years.

The bore in the back of the crankshaft for automatic transmission can vary in depth and diameter according to coarse finishing after forging. The only constant is the finished area for the torque converter spigot.

Return to “Manual transmission”