If you're new to Bedford CF Org then say hello here

Isle of Wight Custom Barn Find

Post by The Gentleman Racer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:00 pm
Hello everyone, my name is Kevin and I am based on the Isle of Wight and in my late 40s.
Back in the 70s my dad was in the construction industry and as was the case in the 70s, during the summer holidays it was not unusual for my younger brother and myself to spend the weekdays with my dad on the building sites, building dens out of building materials etc.
Now the reason for this little story is my dads work van was a Bedford CF1 with sliding doors and as I spent most of my summers in this van, I have great memories and always wanted one for myself.

The last few years, in my spare time I have been involved as a mechanic and navigator in stage rallying and building my own classic mini so that I can compete myself.
Driving up to one event, our group were discussing what their ideal rally service barge would be and I recited the above story of my youth and said I would love a Bedford CF.
The chap sat next to me said, I have one you can buy (he only lives 3 miles away from my home) and when he described it to me I said I would have it.
He said "you have not even seen it yet" - but it sounded perfect.

Anyway can I present to you my Barn Find 1977 Custom Drag Racing Boogie Van

This was customised in the 70s complete with deep pile carpet, tassel roof lining, home made port hole window, glitter paint work and CB radio. They fitted a turbo and SU carb to the standard 2.3 slant engine and took it drag racing (its covered in period custom car and drag racing stickers).

in the mid 80s the engine expired and it was put in a barn.

I did the deal with my mate in the summer of 2019 and I have only just managed to get it transported to my home for January 2020.

I have a replacement engine and the plan is to make it road worthy and use it as it is for a bit until there is a substantial gap in my calendar of other projects and make it into my dream van (not 100% what that is yet :) ).

anyway I am glad to be part of this forum as I am sure I will learn a lot and need your guidance during this build.

Re: Isle of Wight Custom Barn Find

Post by teh » Subscribing Member » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:44 pm
Has it still got the turbo on it? I'd love to see some pics of that

Post by rich4you » Club admin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:52 am
Welcome to the club :thumb:
Richard
Life's a Bitch then you Die

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Subscribing Member » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:11 am
Hi and welcome :)
The turbo sounds an interesting mod !
Nigel Packer

Post by petegroover » Subscribing Member » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:42 pm
love the van +turbovec alloys,a real blast from the past !

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:10 am
Hi welcome to the club.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Return to “Introduce yourself”