CF1: round front turn signal (indicator) lamps below front bumper

Cf1 250 Pioneer in line fuse size

Post by webby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 pm
Hi Everyone

My old girl didn't have any reverse lights when I bought her and now after fitting a new gearbox she has the reverse light switch on the turret I plan to run a live feed from the plus side of the coil down to the gearbox switch (i presume this is the best way to do it) then another feed from gearbox switch to reverse lights my questions are do I need a relay for thisif so what type or will just an inline fuse be ok, what size fuse is recommended. I think in the past it may have had reverse lights as there are lights on the rear of the van but I can't for life of me see any connections near the gearbox. Any help much appreciated.
Many thanks
Webby

Re: Cf1 250 Pioneer in line fuse size

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 am
If the van has a 12-way fuse box below the dash panel, mounted horizontally or vertically, then check the wiring harness that runs along the right side chassis longitudinal member.

If two wires emerge from the harness somewhere between the front of the tank and the suspension tie bar bracket on the chassis then check for green (ignition fed supply via fuse 3,4,5 or 6) and green+brown (reverse lamps); harness tape may have to be peeled back a little to properly identify the colours.

If these wires aren't in the harness then take a supply from fuse 3, 4, 5 or 6, (same side as green wires already present) to the reverse lamps switch.

Other side of switch goes to the reverse lamps; if two lamps are fitted then make a junction for the left side either in the right side lamp or somewhere else well away from water spray from the wheel.

Cable to use should be suitable for 5 Amp minimum.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by webby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 am
Many thanks Phil that's very helpful, I'm off to have a look now.

Thanks
Webby

Post by webby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm
Manages to get the reverse lights connected and all working well very happy, only problem is now I don't seem to have any head lights, I've checked the fuses with a meter and they are ok, the weird thing is that the rear lights work fine but the front lights main and side lights do not work at all!! Could the switch be burnt out on the front lights only? Has anyone any suggestions please.

Regards
Webby

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 pm
Possible causes which can leave rear lamps working -

1. Pull-push lights switch failing: contact plate and, or, printed circuit may be worn or burned.

2. Poor connection between switch connector block and switch bullet terminals.

3. Thermal trip on switch failing. Thermal trip is a bi-metal strip contact assembly attached to the circuit board to one side of the switch body.

Switch with thermal trip is for earlier models with 2 line fuses and should not be used with 12-way fuse box.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Cf1 250 Pioneer Head lights

Post by webby » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm
Ok Phil many thanks once again there's plenty to check there, I'll try and have a look tomorrow.
Regards
Webby

Post by webby » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:06 pm
I have a 12 way vertical fuse box

Sorry to be a pain is the Cf2 Switch the same as the C1 I've found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LIGHT-SW ... :rk:9:pf:0

hoping it will do the job if a new switch is needed.

Rgds
Webby

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 pm
Rocker type lights switch for Facelift/CF2 models will not replace the CF1 pull-push type.

Pull-push type will come apart for cleaning and (limited) repair; may be worth a try but clamp the switch body with circuit board uppermost during disassembly so that the contact plate and spring stay in place when the board is withdrawn.

Re: Cf1 250 Pioneer head lights

Post by webby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am
That's weird I have a toggle switch not push pull it's a 1980 CF250 does that make it the facelift model? Hoping it's just the switch or as you mentioned the junction box connections, can't be anything too serious.

Many thanks again
Webby

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Ah. Your CF1 has the Facelift dash - one of the confusions of piece-meal introduction of CF2 bits 1980-84...

Dash wiring is completely different to CF1 with pull-push switch so for all but tail lights to go out the problem more likely is in the fuse box if the switch hasn't melted yet: rocker switch should keep front and rear side lamps on for both side and head light positions.

Return to “Switches, lighting and signal systems - early models”