CF2 Oil leak

Post by stuartbyng » Subscribing Member » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Hi,

I have an oil leak coming from just above the oil filter (2.0T engine). I changed the filter to rule that out but the problem is still there. I must be coming from just above the filter. Any ideas on likely cause?

Thanks,

Stu

Re: CF2 Oil leak

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm
From the top -

Rocker cover gasket: try tightening screws - they can go slack after a while.

Cylinder head to block O-ring seal and, or, head gasket mis-positioned on timing case upper face: requires head removal for replacement.

Timing chain tensioner sealing ring: may need replacing if it's beyond re-tightening.

Timing case to crankcase gasket: oil pan and head have to be removed to fix this one.

Timing case to oil pan gasket.

Bear in mind that fan turbulence can make oil leakage migrate everywhere. Clean the engine so that fresh oil leakage can be tracked down more readily.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by stuartbyng » Subscribing Member » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:23 pm
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the information. I will check through them all as soon as I get chance - hopefully it will be one of the easier to repair ones!

Will start by cleaning all the old oil off to try and narrow down the area it is coming from.

Stu

Post by stuartbyng » Subscribing Member » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 pm
Problem solved!

Luckily it was an easy one - The Timing Chain Tensioner was loose. Cannot believe I didn't spot the oil coming from it the other day. As soon as I started it up today it was obvious the leak was coming from round it. The bolt just needed tightening as it could be undone by hand!

Thanks for the advice

Stu

Return to “Petrol”