CF 250 'Europa' Silhouette (special edition? )

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 am
Hi all, I have just taken delivery of my new project, A CF250 pop top camper and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on the exact model as I can't find much info on it.
I have found a bit of info on 'Vauxpedia', judging by the colour and livery, it looks to be a 'special edition', according to the site, these were available in either silver or green, with contrasting diagonal stripes, mine is silver. They also came with a factory fitted sunroof, which mine also has, but I found no info on this exact type of camper, the pop roof is of the tilting type, and says 'Silhouette' on it, and there is a badge on the door rubbing strips that says 'Europa', anyone know of this type of CF?
Anyway, here's a few pictures...

Looks like I might need to get my welder out eh? ;)

Re: CF 250 'Europa' Silhouette (special edition? )

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 am
Yep you certainly will !!

Whats the plan ?
Nigel Packer

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:32 am
The top looks like Dormobile.

CF2 exterior door handles seem odd on a Facelift model.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:28 am
@packern the plan is to get it running and sort the mechanicals, brakes etc whilst trying to locate and collect all the panels I can and fabricate what I can't, I have a 'roadworthy' deadline of July 2019 :D

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:31 am
@phil yes there are odd things about it, the 'special edition' paint was available from 1986 according to vauxpedia, but that was on a CF2 which should have an opel engine and a 5 speed, mine was registered in march 1984 according to the logbook and has a slant and a 4 speed... some investigation will be required.

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:54 am
Well....this van is VERY rusty :(

I was investigating the sunroof area....and leant against the panel that the sunvisors bolt to, it disintegrated...totally... it was rusty dust held in place by the vinyl covering...what am I going to do there? I don't even have the remains of the panel to work from.

Other areas of concern...
The roof edge that the flip roof bolts to...totally come away.
Drivers door step is like flaky pastry and just as strong :(
I can see my drive through the floor in places...
The rear wheel arches are just filler...badly shaped filler.
...and that's just the bits i've found so far.

good points? The side door and rear doors appear to be in good condition :) and in a box in the back I found a full vehicle set of brand new wheel cylinders and shoes :)

Let's hope the engine runs eh?

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:27 am
Update....More rust :'(

Top of the screen...

Top of side panel just behind driver seat...

And this is seized solid :'(

I have my work cut out :(

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 am
Criky !!!!!!!

Your brave the windscreen rust is usually the kiss of death to these vans. I would certainly have a good look all the way round the windscreen and then have a serious think about it. I am sure others with more and better knowledge than mine would say something similar. They look a difficult repair.
But as the saying goes "man made it man can fix it." Not to sure how that applies to things made by robots though.
Nigel Packer

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:50 am
oh it gets worse ... This is the rustiest CF I've seen... I am considering throwing the towel in but the wife has faith in me she says... I personally think she just doesn't want me spending all my time pouring over ebay and the rest of the net trying to find a better one :)

Do you want to see more rust? you do? Oh good :)

Some newspaper in the sill here

um.....bad isn't it? :(

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 am
I must agree with you.

Well I haven't seen the filler and newspaper trick in a while is there a date on it ?

If it was me I would cut me losses and get off it what you can, certainly the cooker fridge and so forth. Maybe others would be able to advise about the rest so you can recoup some of your hard earnt some CF spares are can be hard to come by. Its just the scrapping it yourself thing that can be a bit iffy, i'm not too clear about that myself if it is possible at all.

Anyway what ever you decided I am sure it will be the right thing for you.
Nigel Packer

Return to “Blogs”