2.3 slant petrol Pioneer Exhaust

Post by webby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm
Hi I've just test fitted a full stainless exhaust to my 2.3 petrol Pioneer but not used the exhaust paste yet as I'm worried the back section looks so close to the spare wheel it doesn't look like I will be able to remove the wheel as the exhaust is in the way, also the final tail pipe is not straight it's at an angle is this right? It looks like the last bend could do with being the opposite way to clear the spare. I had the exhaust coming out of the side before now it's out the back. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks Webby

Re: 2.3 slant petrol Pioneer Exhaust

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:54 am
Some pictures may help. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 am
The exhaust should pass to the rear nearside axle , inline with the brake compensator wotsit bracket on the chassis rail , I couldnt find a suitable replacement pipe off the shelf one for mine that went over the rear axle , so got one to come out the side near side like your previous exhaust '

John

Post by webby » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 am
Thanks guys it would be easier having it coming out the side to be honest, sorry I should have taken a few pics, I seem to have man flu now due to lying on a damp floor for most of the day putting the exhaust on ahhh. As soon as I'm feeling a bit better I'll take a few pics. Cheers Webby

Post by webby » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm

not sure if thus will work trying to upload a pic from my phone!

Post by webby » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Exhaust prior to Facelift models -

Silencer assembly should be as close to horizontal as possible using an original clamp and support. Upper bend of tail pipe that passes over the axle should be roughly vertical; tail pipe should pass alongside the spare wheel and exit below the body corner outboard of the chassis longitudinal section.

Is your new tail pipe in two sections or is the front part welded to the silencer assembly?
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by webby » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 pm
That's very helpful many thanks the new tail pipe is in two section it looks like I may have it in the wrong position as I thought it came out the back. Thanks for all your help when I'm feeling better I'll have a look to see if it can be twisted a bit more so it comes out the side rear. Rgds Webby

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:00 pm
Tip: remove burrs and polish mating parts of pipes so that they slip easily while being re-aligned; exhaust paste also will work better on bare metal.

Once everything is more or less right nip up the clamps then run the engine to warm up the exhaust; re-align anything that moves meanwhile, re-seal any leaky joints.

Final bit is to re-tighten once the exhaust is thoroughly hot. This is best done after a decent run (10-15 mile should do it); if the van isn't ready for the road yet then make a note to check clamps and nuts before anything can work loose. :thumb:

Return to “Petrol”