Tips on making stiff door rubbers supple anyone?

Post by Stef » Subscribing Member » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:21 pm
I have a Bedford CF 1982.

The horizontal rubber above my external door skin (sealing the window) came out when I wound the window up and it's not very flexible at all ... which not only means clipping it back in would be awkward, but it looks sure to pop out again next time I wind the window up, or it may even just pop out anyway while driving, I'm guessing.

So I wondered if anyone has any tips for making old rubber supple, and whether then using a few blobs of sealer would be a good idea to keep it in place (but still prisable should I wish to remove it in future).

It looks like it will eventually jump ship if I don't do something radical...

Re: Tips on making stiff door rubbers supple anyone?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:51 am
Slam door top glazing seal needs to be semi-rigid for the channel in the top of the door to retain it but still flexible enough for the edges to then lip over the inner and outer door skins.

If the seal will soften in hot water then it should be easier to press into the channel; warm up the top of the door was well (fan heater from a few metre away rather than a hot air gun). Use a tool about 6mm wide to press directly into the section that locks into the channel or it may never go in properly.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Tips on making stiff door rubbers supple anyone?

Post by Stef » Subscribing Member » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm
Thank you, Phil.

That makes sense, and I will refit it like that, using a double-glazing unit spacer trim as the tool...

Return to “Chat”