findig chassis numbers on a cf2

Post by roberto1975 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:37 pm
Hi to every one! I have a problem with the numbers of the chassis stamped on the frame....where they are????
of course the vin plate is on the left door, but here , in italy, they need the numbers of the frame stamped, at the mot...
someone can help me,please!

Re: findig chassis numbers on a cf2

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:47 pm
This topic may help.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by roberto1975 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm
No numbers founded ......

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:29 pm
Maybe the Vauxhall Heritage Centre can help: they have access to information not available outside Vauxhall/GM and can assist individuals with enquiries about their own vehicles.

You may need to provide them with the chassis number of your vehicle.

Contact -

Andrew J Boddy
Senior Vehicle Restorer & Team Leader
Vauxhall Heritage Centre UK1-450-450
Griffin House
Osborne Road
Luton
LU1 3YT

[email protected]

01582 426527
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by roberto1975 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 am
Many thanks!

Post by roberto1975 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm
Hi Roberto,
The numbers were NOT stamped on the body/chassis of the Bedford CF they were only on the VIN plate.
I hope this helps clarify things.
Kind regards
Andy
Andrew J Boddy
Senior Vehicle Restorer & Team Leader

Vauxhall Heritage Centre UK1-450-450

Griffin House, Osborne Road , Luton,

LU1 3YT.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:10 am
Can you stamp the chassis number on the body or chassis yourself? If it is consistent with the number on the VIN plate then I do not think it will be unlawful.

The form of the number may have to comply with EU regulation introduced 1982 (explained below). Check for your jurisdiction. (I suspect that no-one will know any different if a stamped number looks ok.)

A 36 piece set of letter and number stamps (punches) will be needed; 8mm will be easier to use than smaller size.

Practice on some scrap steel sheet first.

Support the sheet on a thick steel plate so that each character can be formed with a single blow of a hammer without distorting the sheet too much.

On your CF choose an area that is not normally disturbed during the life of a vehicle but can be repainted.

A door frame may be easiest: not much of an area to repaint afterwards.

There should be access behind the panel to be stamped so that a thick support plate can be held or clamped on the back as for the practice piece.

Avoid areas where panels overlap because it can be difficult to obtain good impressions on the outer panel: single thickness is best.

It should not matter whether the number is aligned horizontally or vertically to fit it in the available area.

Strip paint from the chosen area so that the number is stamped in clean steel.

Clamp a strip of wood or steel to the panel to provide a guide to keep the characters in a straight line.

To set the character spacing and avoid mistakes use a marker to write the number parallel to where it is to be stamped. (Stamping over marking can leave traces that may bleed through fresh paint.)

Once the number is stamped repaint the panel to its edges for uniform finish over the stamped face.

VIN plate chassis number with 13 characters may need an additional '0' character plus 3-character world manufacturer identity prefix to conform with EU regulation. For Bedford (and Vauxhall) the prefix is SKF.

For example, if the chassis number is of the form 97360EY600001 then this becomes SKF973600EY60001 (EY is 1975 production year, Luton factory).

If the chassis number has SKF already then the extra '0' already should be inserted, e.g. SKF973600EV600001 (EV is 1984 production year, Luton factory also.)

For a stamped chassis number there should be an 8-point star at each end (as for cars with the VIN inside the windscreen). With letter stamps a 6-point star may be easier to make using 'X' and 'I'; maybe you could blame the difference on Bedford...

Like so -

Post by bedfordcf2van Contact bedfordcf2van » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm
The CF's built in Portugal did have the numbers stamped, well actually they were etched...
(they also have the vin plate on the drivers seat base)
Opel started using that "new technology" that back then but the reality is that they tend to disapear with time!
That's a bit of a problem, I have seen some that have been re-stamped or touched-up with a hand etcher.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:45 pm
It doesn't surprise me that the Luton plant may have lagged behind European plants with chassis number on the body frame itself (memories of industrial and other strife that hit the plant and eventual demise of Bedford).

GM information that I have is for UK models with a scattering of bits and pieces for Holden (which had a different system for compliance with Australian regulations) so any information on non-UK models is very welcome. :thumb:

Return to “Chat”