Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.

Suitable gearbox to swap?

Post by Mandalaman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 am
Hello everyone..i have a 1980 cf motorhome with what i'm guessing is the original slant engine..my problem is the bearings in the gearbox are stuffed and my mechanic is struggling to find parts so i'm wondering if there is another gearbox i can swap into it without to much modification and expence that would be better for a van this size and which would be better v6, v8 ..4 speed, 5 speed.. manual or auto lol
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i'm quite a way out of my depth with this one?
TIA

Re: Suitable gearbox to swap?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 am
Which transmission is fitted now? A photo side view from underneath may be easiest. Also, the chassis number will help.

Chassis number is of the form 97360GV600001 for 1980 models and should be on the registration document as well as the small SPI (service parts information) plate attached to the passenger door frame (lock side) or vertical panel to the side of the passenger foot well (chassis cowl models) -

• What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Mandalaman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 am
Hi again Phil...here are some pics of underneath from both sides aswell as pics of the attached information

Post by Mandalaman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 am
The others

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Looks like you have a Holden WB manual transmission which normally is bolted on the back of the Holden 3.3 litre when fitted to CF models.

The only other transmission that I know of is the Trimatic automatic transmission which also is peculiar to Holden Australia.

The only thing in common with Luton built CFs is 97760 designation (3500kg GVW chassis cab with petrol engine) and year code J for 1979 production year. Other information on Holden kit is a mystery: there is very little this side of the pond.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Mandalaman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm
Thank you for that Phil
Do you think this one is possible?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3415290901

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 am
Converting to automatic from manual transmission requires the flex plate and torque converter to replace the flywheel and clutch, the gear shift console, rods and linkage for automatic, propellor shaft front end the right length and speedometer drive cable. A transmission oil cooler also will be needed.

Return to “Conversions and modifications”