1985 Bedford cf 2.3 slant 4 starting issue

Post by Slimm991 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:34 pm
Hi it’s me again more problems popping up day by day with my fools old dazy 1985 Glendale 23 camper ok so here goes she seems to have a staring issue I have fitted new plugs leads filters She starts great when cold full choke first flick of her key and she will start first flick all day just as long as you leave her for no more than 10 minute a time any more and she is a real pain to get going again I have to hold my foot to the floor and she spins over and over to just before the battery is about drain and she fires a little bit and acentuall starts and runs great but smells of fuel for about 5 minutes after starting she’s not leaking or losing oil water or petrol she has a new cap leads plugs oil filters I’m puzzed as she runs beautiful hot or cold no hunting rocking around in the engine bay no missing back firing smoke nothing she real dose have plenty of power up hill or on the straights so I’m really confused it’s not a problem as such as she never failed to start and runs beautifully but more embarrassing when trying to get her going again on site but I’m afraid what ever is casing this won’t last much longer before it causes our dazy gilr some real damage thank you to all and especially Phil he has helped me every step of my camper rebuild great guy who knows everything

Re: 1985 Bedford cf 2.3 slant 4 starting issue

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:49 pm
Check valve clearances: exhaust valve clearances close up with use leading to poor compression when the engine is hot.

The 10 minutes or so to go from starting to not starting when hot is time enough for hottest bits to expand a bit more because there's no coolant flow.

Clue is good cold starting: rules out fuel evaporation from carburettor float chamber and poor delivery from fuel pump.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Slimm991 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 am
Ok Phil thank you I have the distributor timing set to the Center if I turn it clockwise it picks up and engine stabilise but once I shut her off and leave her a couple of minutes when trying to restart she turns over as if she is tight or the battery is flat then after Turing her over a couple of times but really lazy like a dead battery she fires but if I turn the distributor anti clockwise she starts to run a little lumpy and starts rocking a little in the bay but turns over real easy but i have to put my foot to the floor and while turning her over for some time and she starts to fire bit by bit then burst into life also if I turn the mixture screw all the way in she cuts out the I turn it 2 and a half turns out she drives very smooth but I keep getting compliments on her but followied by she’s running a little rich isn’t she mate lol wich I find weird as the fuel mixture is only 2 and a half out so I guess what I’m asking you Phil is how to set fuel mixture good and check if it is working when screw is turned also how to fine tune the dizzy timming it’s currently dead Center if the plate also I’d like to thank you again for your amazing advice and photos you have helped me do so much to my beautiful Bedford and keep her in almost new condition /almost perfect 👌 lol

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 am
A white light (xenon) timing light is best for setting the ignition timing accurately. Disconnect vacuum pipe from distributor and plug end of the pipe; set timing at normal idling speed so that mechanical advance does not cut in.

When adjusting timing by ear rotate distributor clockwise from slower, lumpy running to idling speed just starting to increase from smoothest running. Kicking back on the starter indicates timing too far advanced.

Initial setting of the volume control screw (mixture screw) is two full turns out from the fully in position. This screw only affects mixture at idling speed.

Adjusting ignition timing and carburettor idle settings will not cure poor hot starting due to valve clearances too tight.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Slimm991 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:17 pm
Ok Phil thank you so much I’ll crack on and set valve clearances and ignition timing up fingers crossed will shirt the hot cold start issues

Return to “Petrol”