Where to start if your CF is misbehaving and you're not sure where the problem may be.

Bedford cf misbehaving

Post by Jozef » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:26 pm
Dear all, i am the proud owner of a Bedford cf 280 from 1977 campervan
Me and my wife are traveling through Europe and some issue's came up,

Sporadically its stuttering and sometimes it can completely stop, it looks like ignition or fuel i am lost. Its also very randomly but now starting to look more when under load.

I allready have a electronic ignition and electronic full pump placed about a month ago and set the valves it was driving and starting perfectly.

Also the rpm gauge randomly fluctuate from high to low rpm but its a after market one.

As we are in the middle of nowhere and have basic tools i am hoping somebody can help diagnose the problem from far away.

To see our trip and the van you can follow us on @vanlife.bedford

Greets Jozef

Re: Bedford cf misbehaving

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:00 pm
If the stuttering feels like switching the ignition on and off then the problem more likely is ignition; if it is periods of dying away and then power coming back then the problem more likely is fuel.

To narrow down the possibilities -

Which ignition system is fitted? Delco D300 with black cap or Bosch JHFU4 with brown cap?

If Delco then which electronic system is fitted?

What type of rpm gauge is fitted?

Does the misfiring coincide with the gauge fluctuating?

Which carburettor? 1977 should have Weber 34ICT - choke cable to the side, accelerator cable to the rear - but Zenith 36IV is possible - choke cable above accelerator cable to the rear of the carburettor.

What is the weather like? Serious question: condensation inside the distributor is a CF speciality!
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Jozef » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:49 am
Thx for the reply,

I had before that he completly died, and only stutters randomly, now it looks more when switching gears and under load it sputters more, when driving constant rpm constant speed it only stutters a bit, the rpm gauge fluctuates also sometimes when its not stuttering. But when it happens it is going crazy.(aroso rpm gauge)

I have a black distributor cab, the weather is full sun 30 degrees for weeks now, allready removed the cab and looked dry, (dont know what brand is flitted)

Yes i have the 34ict weber,

Update also my electronic pump sporadically is making a hard ticking noise(so i am starting to think more of the fuel, i checked all the fuel lines, allready had the one replaced to carb and connections between fuel pump.

The one small flexible full line on top of gasoline tank to metal full line looks really old and think its sweating a bit. (could this be the problem) Now will try to find a new hose, i will also disconnect the rpm meter.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:47 am
If the Aroso tachometer has its own power supply from the battery/ignition switch then it will rely on a low level signal from the ignition coil negative terminal so it should not affect the ignition system unless the tachometer input is shorting to ground: check external wiring to the tachometer for security and condition.

The tachometer going crazy when the engine stutters may be indicating a fault in the ignition system 12V side. If the problem continues with the tachometer disconnected from the coil then suspect the ignition system.

Some types of electronic ignition for Delco D300 can break down due to overheating, e.g. Accuspark, Pertronix clones. Ambient 30C is ideal for this. System can return to normal when cold, but only until a component fails completely.

Fuel pump chatter can indicate no fuel, either due to air entering between tank and pump, or no fuel being drawn through due to blockage (or too much fuel going through but then there will be a major leak on a 1977 CF with no tank return like CF2!).

Sweaty fuel hose can allow air in as well as leak fuel so it needs replacing anyway especially if the old hose is fabric covered.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Jozef » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:45 pm
Thx Phil,

I checked the tachometer for bad connections all looked fine but removed it just in case,

As i am in the middle of bosnia now there are no garages nearby nearest 195 km hopefully he will make it. tomorrow going to look for a one and buy a new piece of fuel line.

I checked and have a powerspark electronic ignition the earth cable is connected to the coil, i had a new coil with me and just replaced it also.

Also i measured the voltage going in and is a healthy 13,4 volt. When engine of.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:19 pm
Powerspark is known for failing due to overheating when fitted to CFs.

Post by Jozef » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 pm
Update,

After our last campsite the cf started really misbehaving on top of a hill i cut a piece of fuel line from the carb to make a new one at the fuel tank thought perhaps fixed still same problem, we let it roll down the hill and stopt at a bar, inside there was a mechanic and drove stuttering to his garage replaced all full lines and put a new lead from coil to distributer after that it was driving oké occasionally stuttering, next day after about 100km starterd same isseus again.

Then we stayed at campsite and next day drove to Croatia with not a single problem and thought it fixed it self then drove to montenegro without any problems, now on thw way to macasdonie through albanie and now starting same issues again

I guess it must be this stupid electronic ignition,

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:58 am
If you can remove the engine thermostat so that the engine runs too cool then the electronic ignition may not break down so much.

Post by Jozef » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 am
We just do short trips now it stops working, when i drove highway 80/90 for about 100km then when going to small roads change in speed rpm it fails,

I was wondering if you have or know a better brand or other ignition system i could order to fix the problem

Now we are in Greece and will take the ferry to Italië so thought if i order it and let it sent to a postal office or camp site i will be able to fix it there.

Thx for all the help!!

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 am
Aldon lobe sensing type for Delco D300: MR-LS2 for Delco D302 I think is the one.

EDIT

I checked: MR-LS2 fits the CF distributor. Simple to fit without removing the distributor so can be replaced by contact breaker and condenser if ever it fails.

Return to “Diagnostics”