Fridge and water heater

Post by Willienelson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 pm
Hi all

I’ve just fitted a new gas bottle and got the oven, burners and grill all working fine but for the life of me I can’t get gas through to the water heater or fridge.
I can’t even get the fridge to operate on 12volt, is there a separate 12v isolator I’m missing?
All taps are in the on position and I’m pulling out what little hair I have left!

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Pete

Re: Fridge and water heater

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 pm
Hi Pete,
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious... it's unlikely the fridge will run on 12V unless the engine's running (because it'd flatten your battery in short order if it wasn't). If you can gain access (usually on top of the fridge) you might be able to check the voltage to the fridge with the engine running and not to confirm this. There's a good chance the fridge supply will be on a separate fuse, but you'll more than likely have to find it yourself (you haven't said anything about make, model, etc.)

If you can trace the gas line from bottle to appliance, see if you can work out what order things are fed. If the fridge and heater are together at the end of the line, maybe the line is kinked or crushed just before them? Or perhaps there's a hidden tap somewhere?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm
Pilot jet in the boiler and jet of similar size in the 'fridge may be blocked, e.g. choked with small debris that can collect in gas lines over time.

Also, because of the small orifice size of both jets it can take a while for gas to bleed through if the system has not been used for a while.

Oven and hob normally don't suffer so with usually having piezo or mk1 strike a match ignition rather than waste gas on a pilot light.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Willienelson » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:40 pm
Thanks all

Fridge ran well on battery when driving and switched to 240v on site and all was well.
Turned out it was an airlock preventing fridge and space heater working and I found out the water heater igniter is broken but it now runs well with manual lighter.

Had a great week out in our ‘new’ van, brilliant now everything works!

Pete

Post by Willienelson » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Phil, it turns out you were bang on with your diagnoses!

Return to “Chat”