Small window/skylight repairs

Post by Willienelson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am
Hi

I have a small leak on the front window of my travelhome s, I’m having difficulty getting to it to remove and replace the rubber due to height and position.
Is there an easy way or is there a caravan repair place in the north west that could do it for me?

Many thanks

Pete

Re: Small window/skylight repairs

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm
Hi,
My experience with a previous motorhome was that removing was easier than refitting. To remove, you'll find an insert on the outside of the rubber strip, all the way around. This is insert forces the outside of the seal to squash against the window. With it removed, it's then easier to remove the window (in the direction of outside). BUT: a new seal is much stiffer and it can be a real challenge to get the window back in to the new seal.
Eventually I gave up and called a local windscreen company. They put the window in (after two hours of fighting with it!) for about £65, if I remember rightly. That was a big, rear window though: a smaller one should be less trouble.
Beware what you might find though: if it's been leaking, chances are the wood is rotten; and might break as you remove/refit.

Re: Small window/skylight repairs

Post by Willienelson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Thanks rob, I’ve fitted similar style windows to boats in the past and they’ve been a real pain.
The added pain to this one is standing on ladders, reaching across and trying not to fall off the things!

I think I’ll pay a fitter to struggle instead!

Pete

Return to “CI (Caravans International, later Autohomes)”