Where to start if your CF is misbehaving and you're not sure where the problem may be.

Carburetor

Post by paulmartin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 pm
Have found this site a valuable source of information, no least because I'm no mechanic but like to have a go so bear with me! My CF350 ambulance has a Weber Carburetor. Its just started running irregularly on idle and cutting out! Have fiddled with the carburetor to no avail given that my manual only has information for the Zenith carburetor! My eye site is absolutely terrible and I'm struggling to make out a model number for the Weber. Anyone know what model number it may be so I can try and research some information before wrecking it? I'm assuming the Idle jet may be blocked but if I'm going to have to take it apart I believe there are kits you can buy to recondition some of the parts? Thought it was sucking air so replaced the vacuum pipes which seemed to correct it for a while and re soldered the solenoid wire which then seemed to help again but now left scratching my head with risk of going bold! Any advise would be much appreciated. Regards. Paul

Re: Carburetor

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:08 pm
Weber 34ICT for Vauxhall OHC (slant) engines and also Opel CIH (CF2) but with high speed enrichment for the Opel engine.

Check security of carburettor on the manifold: if engine idling improves when nuts tightened but still is fussy then re-seal manifold/insulator gaskets or renew them if they're damaged.

If there isn't much difference in idling with the solenoid wire disconnected then the idle jet may be blocked. Idle jet is a push fit inside the end of the solenoid valve.

First release grub screw or the solenoid body will be damaged on removal -

Grub screw is best left in the carburettor: getting it back in with the carburettor on the engine isn't easy.

When refitting the solenoid valve tighten only enough to seat the jet in the carburettor body (fingertip pressure) or the jet and seating may be damaged.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by paulmartin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Thank you Phil. I'll go and have a fiddle and let you know how it goes. Yours appreciatively. Paul

Post by paulmartin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:28 am
Thank you father Bedford. Seems like the Carburetor body was loose. Working fine now and you've given me the confidence to order a renovation kit. Thanks again. My next little project is to replace the squealing water pump and replace some corroded brake hoses. Should keep me out from under the wife's feet for a while :)

Return to “Diagnostics”