Brake pad/disc squeal

Post by stuartbyng » Subscribing Member » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 pm
Hi,

I have a 1986 CF2 250P with the 2.0T engine. The problem I have is a squeal coming from the front brake pads/discs. It did not have this problem until I changed the pads (Ferodo). Since then, despite fitting a new pad fitting kit plus anti squeal goo, they always squeal. I have since changed the pads again (EBC) but the problem is still there. Does anyone have any ideas on this as it is driving me mad!

Thanks,

Stu

Re: Brake pad/disc squeal

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 am
Possibilities -

1. Excessive front wheel bearings end float: adjust until all free play at wheel rim just disappears.

2. Caliper pistons not moving evenly enough to apply equal pressure both sides of the disc. Hard to determine unless old pads were wearing unevenly -

3. Contaminated pad friction material. Scrub off flat on water-wet ~100 grit wet and dry paper.

4. Pads fitted upside down and jamming in the caliper.

5. Damper springs (2) under the retaining pins (1) incorrectly fitted; what they should look like -

• What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Brake pad/disc squeal

Post by stuartbyng » Subscribing Member » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:00 pm
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. As far as i can remember (I changed them last year) the old pads were wearing evenly, so that should (hopefully) rule out #2.
I have cleaned the friction material (though just dry, not wet and dry) so possibly not #3
Damper springs are as per your pic so can rule them out too

Will have to check wheel bearings endfloat & I can't be 100% sure I have not fitted them upside down as I wasn't aware there was a specific way :wall:

Return to “Brakes”