Centre bearing cussion

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:59 pm
Hullo,

I went to view a CF today that I'm quite tempted to buy. A '78 petrol CF250. I gave it a through look-over and the only thing I found wrong was that the centre propshaft bearing rubber cushion had shredded (ie, the middle bit wasn't connected to the outer bit any more).

I'm quite tempted by the van, but I would like to ask a few questions of advice first...
1. How easy is it to source a new baring unit?
2. How easy is it to fit (in a field somewhere)
3. Would I be a fooooool to try and drive the van home on the current bearing? (About 170 miles)

The van appears to have an overdrive gearbox, if that makes a difference to the driveshaft.

Much obliged,
Matt

Re: Centre bearing cussion

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 am
1. Not very; can be costly too.

2. Normally a press is required to remove the old bearing. Propellor shaft removal is best done on hard standing with the rear axle raised a bit for comfortable working.

3. Yes. Sod's Law applies.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Okay Phil, thanks for your help...

I'm probably still going to try and buy the van because I rather like it, and there's always the recovery service to get it home :)

If I am looking for a new centre bearing for the propshaft, would I be looking for the same unit as is installed on any petrol 250 CF1? Or is it something weird because of the overdrive? (I'm assuming the overdrive means there is a different propshaft used?)

Do you know what the internal diameter of the bearing is supposed to be, if I end up looking at bits from other vehicles?

Do you know if the parts dept has any in stock?

Much obliged as ever,
Matt

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm
Sorry, and one more question: Do you happen to know of more common vehicle's centre bearing that will fit the shaft if need be, even if the mounting bracket needs making up, etc?

I see elsewhere on the forum folks discussing a transit type bearing that will fit, bit the thread specifically mentions that an overdrive isn't present, so I'm left wondering if that makes a difference, you see...

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:31 am
I have heard that transit centre bearing can be used but the mounting bracket has to be altered
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 pm
For CF2 with ZF 5-speed transmission (different centre bearing attachment to the chassis cross member compared to earlier models) -

For earlier models overdrive changes the propellor shaft front end for length and front yoke (flange type on CF overdrive unit, sleeve type on car overdrive unit).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:05 pm
Gotcha, thanks phil. But does the shortened overdrive-type front shaft still takes a 30mm bearing, as far as you know?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:59 pm
30mm inside diameter centre bearing for shafts with a constant velocity plunge joint, at the axle flange on petrol models or behind the centre bearing on diesel models.

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm
Thanks again Phil!

Hopefully means the more common transit one will fit, with a bit of brackety...

So I reckon I'll buy the van, use recovery to get it home, then fettle a in the new bearing at my leisure rather than trying some backwoods job.

Cheerio!

Matt :D

Return to “Propellor shaft”