Including diesel engines cold starting aid

Starter cross reference.

Post by moomoo » Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 am
Hello,
Is there a replacement starter motor for the Delco Remy 0.98kw? This is what I have on the van (CIH 2.0l petrol) at the moment but it's the second reconditioned one i've had and now after 12 months it's very slow turning again. The battery is new. I was wondering if there's a Bosch or Lucas or even Delco Remy alternative/replacement with a bit more power?

Thanks

Re: Starter cross reference.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue May 15, 2018 7:25 am
Delco starter shouldn't be dying after a year.

Check battery voltage before condemning a starter for running slowly.

There are cross references but they're all about 0.9kW - google search for Lucas LRS209.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am
It could be that the starter is not getting properly reconditioned why not see if the club has any in stock at least they will have been done properly.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by moomoo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm
Hi Dave,

I took the motor apart and the brushes look fairly new but that doesn't mean to say something else isn't wrong. The Bosch battery is new I only bought it a few weeks ago. I've tried it on the peugeot 307 and it cranks over lovely and fast so I'm assuming it can't be that.
As you say the starter might not have been reconditioned properly when it was done. If the lucas will fit I'll try one.

Thank you Dave.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 am
I had a recon starter on mine ,it lasted about 2 year or so and started turning slow, make sure your earths are good and clean including the one from the engine to the chassis. When mine went faulty Phil lent me a Delco while he was doing mine. On stripping mine down he discovered parts missing and he had to solder the armature but after that it went on until I sold the camper last year so a starter is only as good as the person who recons it.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Return to “Starting system”