Facelift, CF2 models: rocker switches in panel to one side of inset dash panel.

Legally required rear lamps?

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:22 am
Hi all.
I'm in the process of sorting out rust and bits on my van.
I need to know what lights I am required to have at the back of the van?

My cf stratus has the usual rounded rectangular lights embedded in the van with brake lights/running lights and indicators.

It also had two white lamps attached to the lower sill, which originally had a manual rocker switch on the dash for reversing, it also had two red lamps screwed to the body below the main brake/indicator lights, one of which must be the fog light.

I'm testing all these lights and switches later on, but I thought I'd check what rear lights are legally required.

If all that is needed is one fog light I'll use the best of the lights I've got and put it back, does the fog light have to be on the left or right of the van?

Any advice appreciated.
Jim

Re: Legally required rear lamps?

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:01 pm
Hi Jim for MOT perpases any light that is fitted on the vehicle has to work they pulled me up on a top front marker light not working although they were not original equipment so if you have revering lights or rear fog lights that have been added but don't work you can either fix them or remove them if they are on they have to work.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Single fog rear guard lamp to the right (offside).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm
Yes, that makes sense, we just checked which lamps lit and the right hand side lit when fog turned on.

I am going to fit it to the lower fit point, attached to the lip of the sill where the reverse light used to be, and fill the holes on the body below main lights and paint.

Just have to try and find a hole to re-route the fog light wire from inside van to underneath..

Jim

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 pm
Rear wiring harness along the right side chassis longitudinal can be tapped into from underneath the van (spare wheel removed for access): unwrap harness tape to expose wires, pick out green+brown wire for reverse lamp.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Instruments, warning lamps - later models”