Where to start if your CF is misbehaving and you're not sure where the problem may be.

Difficult hot start.

Post by bedlam » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am
I have this ongoing and for me, a difficult problem to diagnose.
My cf has the 2.3 slant motor recently re built. Starts first time when cold, pulls well and idles beautifully. However, when up to working temp, idare not stop the engine as starting is a real problem until the engine has cooled down thats at least 20 min.
One person sugested fuel vaporisationin the supply to rhe carby, however, I'm not so sure. I tried this experiment, and repeated it at various times. Park on a slope and run start. It starts within the first revolution of the engine every time, just as when cold.
It has a contactless hall effect points, condensor replacement fitted and the resistive wire bypassed to deliver 12 volt starting and running. Any suggestions anybody :idea:

Re: Difficult hot start.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:05 am
Starting easily on a bump start could indicate an ignition system problem (e.g. low HT output due to battery drain when using the starter motor) but first check the valve clearances.

Exhaust valve clearances too tight (engine hot) is a common cause of poor hot starting and the 20+ minute cool-down period is about right.

A cylinder compression test may confirm low compression (hot) before dismantling to get at the tappets.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Difficult hot start.

Post by bedlam » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 pm
Just re reading my old post and realised I never let every body know that I found the problem. The electronic unit in the dizzy was breaking down when the engine was hot. I finally made the discovery when the engine started to severly misfire when hot. This led me to suspect the electronic ignition unit. I took a punt and replaced it. Result. Perfect starting hot or cold and runs well when hot.
I found another post regarding electronic units breaking down when hot.

Return to “Diagnostics”