Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.

cf 2.3td conversion

Post by Ronaldk82 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:27 pm
Hi all,

I'm currently restoring a 1973 cf with a 2.0 diesel engine. After various engine failures / diesel leakage from the pump etc. I have decided to replace the engine. I already have a 2.3rd frontera engine ( bought a complete frontera a couple of years ago). What is involved to get this swapped in easy? Will the engine be a straight swap and could I use the existing wiring loom from the old engine?. I would liken to keep this as simple as possible wherever I can. I already have a 5 speed gearbox in the car. Thanks any help is appreciated.

Re: cf 2.3td conversion

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:39 pm
The 23DTR Frontera engine will need the turbo rotating to a better position and some other changes will be required.
Crawford (wnderer) has done this modification: have a look at his For the love of Puddles topic.

For the wiring see the Wiring up the 23DTR topic (Kooda).
Frontera wiring changed by model and year though so check what is fitted to your 23DTR engine.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by wnderer » Sun May 31, 2015 11:33 am
I found the frontera engine & overdrive a worthwhile conversion makes for a more enjoyable/relaxed drive & well worth the all the work & effort I put in, in my case there was a whole lot more work involved as a po, had fitted a transit 2.5 di engine & type 75 gearbox & had cut/butchered the floor in order to fit it so I had to put the floor back as it was

Post by Ronaldk82 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 am
Hi all i finally finished this conversion took me months to complete had to adjust a lot : custom sump / remove EGR , barely any room for radiator and fan or an inter cooler but got it sorted in the end.had 2 MOT fails because of brake imbalance. Eventually I had to rebuild the brakes completely which solved the problem. I took it for a test drive yesterday evening and it looks to be running fine. However I went over a speed bump (after 2 miles) and it died on me. I cranked it but wouldn't start. Had to get a tow home and when I use the manual diesel pump it actually runs again. So either there is air in the system or the original lift pump is having capacity issues or something does this sound familiar to anyone. I will post some pictures later today.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:17 pm
Engine dying after going over a bump could be a wiring issue (e.g. fuel shut off solenoid) if the engine cut out straight away, or a fuel supply problem (air leak) if the engine died a few seconds after going over the bump.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Mrgthumbs » Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 pm
Hi Wanderer, Phil. I'm just finishing off a 2.3DTR Frontera swap in my Bedford Blitz Hymermobil (inspired by this project). I notice on your image of the finished job that the Frontera injector pump is in & looks like it has much more room against the bulk head than in my MK1 CF/Blitz. I know in your thread you mention you had to adjust the bulk head, similar to the other side for the inlet(I just swapped the inlet manifold to the GM straight one to avoid this) Please can you advise me on what you did to get the injector to clear the bulk head? I don't want to stove in the bulk head to get it to fit, so I was thinking of running the non-Frontera injector pump on the turbo set up. Any thoughts on what performance it will loose or issues caused by not having the extra fuel injection when the turbo is at high revs? I fitted a GM R25 gearbox too, so need to do the prop shaft work & cross member adjustments too.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm
Some photos of the engine installation might help... :)

Post by Mrgthumbs » Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am
Hi Phil. I've sent you some images via email. Have you received them, any thoughts on the issue? Cheers

Post by Mrgthumbs » Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 pm
Ok. So from the images you'll see that there is nowhere near the same amount of room as wnderer had. I would need to dent the bulkhead much more than he did. It appears that the block is too high and too far back. Any ideas please folks?

Post by Mrgthumbs » Fri May 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Wnderer's set up

Return to “Conversions and modifications”