Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.

V8 Conversion?

Post by radiogareth Contact radiogareth » Subscribing Member » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:53 am
I know this was very popular in the 1980's possibly due to the room under the body/above the front subframe. Does anyone on here have a V8 powered van? Or photos/details of what, if any, mods needed doing?
The engine under consideration is a mere 25" wide with exhaust manifolds, just don't really want to start chopping the engine cover area if it can be avoided. It either than or a modern EFI V6 (e.g Jag V6) or a Ford 4 cylinder like a 2.0 Zetec or 2.3 Duratec. I'm fine with electrical/electronics and the mechanical aspects of any such swap.
Living just inside the London LEZ is going to get silly until I can escape into 'historic' class, another 4 years....
Thanks
Gareth

Re: V8 Conversion?

Post by teh » Subscribing Member » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 am
if you do a v8 conversion you won't qualify for historic vehicle any more, so won't be exempt from the low emission zone

Post by JoeCF2 » Subscribing Member » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:14 pm
I'm also facing the LEZ problem once its enlarged to the north and south circular come 2021, with my 250p's first registration being 1984 so won't hit historic class till '24.

Have you considered converting to an Electric Motor? Ideally finding a decent motor and set of batteries out of a salvaged EV i.e. Tesla, Leaf and bolting up to the current or new transmission.

It would be great to find out if anyone has already attempted an EV conversion on a Bedford of any kind, or even more info on the EV CF's Bedford did put together...

I'll have to work out if 4 years paying the LEZ every day equates to enough lithium batteries to make it viable...

Post by radiogareth Contact radiogareth » Subscribing Member » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm
The LEZ site/info is almost useless. I just tried here https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/16064.aspx and it appears to classify mine as exempt as its NOT DIESEL???
Electricity is a possibility, but I was thinking of doing it to a smartcar, not this big heavy old thing!
Going to be easier to swap in a euro5 petrol (like Jag V6), then see what they make of that.
If I'm lucky, I won't be living inside the LEZ by the time it gets stricter.
Misguided in many ways, they told me that LPG is now considered 'high particulates'. Yeah, right, that's why my oil stays clean for nearly ever......
Gareth

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:41 am
teh wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 am
if you do a v8 conversion you won't qualify for historic vehicle any more, so won't be exempt from the low emission zone
It won't qualify for VHI ( mot exemption) but it won't affect the tax class, it will still be in the 'historic' tax exemption bracket when it gets old enough.

Unless of course the body/monocoque of the van is cut In any way to enable the fitment of the V8, Then it becomes liable for a BIVA test and a 'Q' plate, and thus no tax exemption and no mot exemption as the vehicle will be registered on the date it passes.

I'd fit a small block chevy as you can do that without altering the body at all :D

Post by radiogareth Contact radiogareth » Subscribing Member » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:12 am
I thought that some changes to the 'dog-house' and floor would be needed for that, but I am pursuing some leads on pictures of the installation. I wonder if that counts as 'monocoque' alterations? I'm familiar with the 'joys' of IVA and BIVA. Needing a compliant windscreen costing over £3,500 put paid to a previous hotrod project. Pilkington (Finland) were happy to make a copy, if I got the original glass to Finland. Just not worth it in the end. Easier to build from scratch and go IVA.
Gareth

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 am
radiogareth wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:12 am
I thought that some changes to the 'dog-house' and floor would be needed for that
It's a throwback to the points system, no matter what you do, 5 points must come from the original unmodified bodyshell ( or chassis on vehicle with a seperate chassis), you can use a brand new bodyshell (unmodified) , but you must have the receipt and it cannot be from another previously registered vehicle, so that would be impossible...

I had similar trouble with a Model Y i was restoring, the chassis was totally rotten, so I rebuilt it with self fabricated rails, using the crossmembers and front 'horns' of the original chassis . . . the trouble came when trying to get an age related plate, there wasn't enough 'ford' in it apparently so it would have required a BIVA, which killed the restoration because I wanted to 'restore' not re-create. I chopped it up in the end and sold the parts.

Post by radiogareth Contact radiogareth » Subscribing Member » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 pm
Well after giving it careful consideration and having made enquiries re brake upgrades etc I don't think its worth upping the power by any large amount or starting to cut away some of the floor and all the attendant 'fun' that will involve. However, after considering a 2.0 Zetec/transit MT75 gearbox I happened across a nice Mazda MX5 1.8 engine and 5 speed box complete with all the ECU and bits/pieces. Spec says 130BHP and similar (10 lbft less) torque to the slant 2.3. It will also fit like it was designed to. Outlay all of £125,so I took the plunge. No rush to do the swap, I need to shift my V8 powered Mazda RX8 first and enjoy some trips out and see how long the gearbox lasts. Also under consideration is finding an automatic from a MX5 (from 2006 onwards they had a double overdrive, also a computer controlling it) but even the earlier unit might do.
All good stuff.
Gareth

Return to “Conversions and modifications”