water leak

Post by Chicky72 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 pm
Hi all, I'm new to the site and have little to no knowledge about mechanics :( I've been fortunate enough to have to have inherited a 1983 CF250 and have had many memorable trips away! Unfortunately the old boy has suffered from my lack of knowledge and I have had a number of trips to the local garage which has hit the pocket hard and has left me pondering selling him on to a more knowledgeable and sympathetic owner.

I started the old boy up the other day after he'd been sitting for a while and he didn't sound to clever...quick basic check for water and oil and i found that the water level was low in the radiator...I started filling the radiator but noticed that the level wasn't rising...instead water was pouring out from behind the fan!! I've looked at the manual but it's like sitting in my old Physics class at school :roll:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be??

Thanks in advance, Haydn

Re: water leak

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri May 11, 2018 1:34 pm
Water pump (worn gland seal or distorted body), or by-pass pipe corroded through or fractured, or pump hose burst.

Remove radiator for access to the front of the engine to remove cam belt cover.

Front panel and radiator can be removed as an assembly on a 1983 model for best access to the front of the engine: don't go there if the bumper corner brackets are seized up or the front lights wiring is dodgy.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Chicky72 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm
Thanks Phil...are any of those possibilities difficult jobs for a non-mechanic to repair/replace?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri May 11, 2018 5:50 pm
If the cooling fan has a viscous coupling (fan can be turned with the fingers without moving the belt pulley, belt attached) then a special spanner may be needed to removed the coupling from the pump; sometimes an ordinary 34mm or 36mm open end spanner will fit if it's slim enough. Fixed fan is easier - just remove 4 bolts.

You'll need some Imperial (inch) size sockets and spanners for engine fixings as well as 10mm AF for the radiator mounting bolts and 13mm AF (maybe) for the alternator brace bolt if 1/2-inch won't fit.

If you get stuck with anything then just ask for help. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Chicky72 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 am
Hi Phil thanks for all your advice, I'm going to beg and borrow said tools and give it a go...what could possibly go wrong! :shock:

Will keep you posted.

Cheers, Haydn

Post by Chicky72 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am
OK...so with the help of a knowledgeable friend I've managed to remove the water pump...and the outlet pipe is heavily corroded...I'd spoken to Adrian Bailey about the situation prior to removing the pump and he'd advised that they are able to recondition them. However with the state of the outlet pipe I think this option is off the table. I'll probably go back to Mr Bailey and see if he can source a reconditioned pump but just thought I'd post on here beforehand to see if people had any other sources/suggestions?

Many thanks, Haydn

Post by Parts » Club admin » Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 pm
Exchange pump from club stock only requires a usable pulley flange from the old unit. Send me a PM or email for details. :thumb:

Return to “Cooling system”