Including day vans

Seats (Bun-head Ged)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 am
Bun-head Ged wrote:Hi everyone. I recently bought a 1981 camper van ... the seats have pretty much disintegrated. Would I be able to fit seats from another van, a transit for example to give me 3 seats in the front. The driver seat is not as bad as the passenger one but they are done with a kind of stretched webbing with hooks and then the foam glued to the frame. It's basically the webbing that is the problem but would ideally like a double passenger seat. Any advice welcomed.
Short answer is yes, seats can be changed. What you fit depends how determined you are ...

A lot will depend on camper type (i.e. how much room there is behind the seats) and what's fitted now.

A photo or two would help. :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Seats (Bun-head Ged)

Post by Bun-head Ged » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:28 am
Hi Phil, I'm not sure how to post photo's to the site but the van has a bench directly behind both front seats that face each other. A removable table in the middle that all then converts to a double bed. Was thinking of leaving the single seat in now but not sure of the legalities of carrying any passengers that will have to sit in the back, therefore travelling sideways with no belts. Would I have to fit belts?
There are only so many times I can say sorry...
and still mean it...
Homer Simpson

Re: Seats (Bun-head Ged)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:24 am
See Adding photos. :)

Side facing seats are not required to be fitted with seat belts. See 5.1 of MoT Inspection Manual.
Forwards facing seats to the rear of the cab require seat belts in some but not all 'motor caravan' vehicles (depends largely on date of first use).

Carrying passengers using seats in the rear of the vehicle may affect your insurance.
Better to inform your insurers before having an accident involving injury to your passengers ...
Last edited by admin on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update link to MoT Inspection Manual
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Motor homes”