Re: Diesel problem Starting after being idle

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm
Dear Mr Bradshaw ,
As far as I'm concerned , you have earn't a Barrell of JD ! Cold Start after weekend , since Thurs , first turn this morning . The glow plug controller I have fitted , is meant for a LDV , Peugeot and has a circuit board in it . I know as I removed the cover , when it did not operate , but I guess it has it's own fail safe , protection built in , when repeated use . I have wired a warning lamp to show when glow plugs are on , toggle switch to power the circuit . Also if the toggle switch stays down , the glow plugs continue during cold cranking , which is what I did this morning . Fired up on straight off .... Thank you , Phil , I'm a happy man 😂.... My mate Tony said the starter , should not be run through an isolator , unless a graded high current one suited for starting circuits . The red cable is old , and the isolator is Chinese , 12V typical eBay job. The start this morning , was starter direct to battery . I have just decreased engine , prior to MOT , used Oven cleaner ( 15mins soak - American YouTube ) and then Jizer afterwards . Should be good enough for MOT and once MOT , I am hoping to take to truck , steam clean , to get full underneath clean , spot , sort , problems , maintenance etc . Are you a fan of Waxoyl ?
Regards the starting circuit , as I said , I intend to move the battery , vehicle battery , to under the passenger seat , shorten starter cable , etc . Also completely overhaul the wiring of the whole van , get rid of all botch locks , repair , replace cable , weather seal externals , trace drains , etc .... A whole project in itself . I have put a new post regards breather under my post 2.3D if you can have a look . 2nd chemo session on Fri , feeling rather rough today , so not sure how much I'll get done , MOT next Mon , fingers crossed .... Best Wishes to all and I'll try and tidy up posts , put good photos to help others , that may need help , in future .... Thanks again and all the best , Kevin - B'ham :brew:
The GLASS - Pessimist it's half empty... Optimist it's half full ... Engineer it's twice the size it needs to be ...

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Wed May 29, 2019 8:08 pm
Hi Phil ,
The diaphragm / Pierburg check valve , for the Bosch VE setup ..... Are there enough uses , vehicles , enthusiasts to be worthwhile getting a small batch made ? Is that possible ? Or just not at all financially viable , worth it ? This is just a curiorisity question really ..... Hopefully the one I have , should outlive me by quite a margin ..... Best wishes to all ...

Kevin - B'ham :brew:
The GLASS - Pessimist it's half empty... Optimist it's half full ... Engineer it's twice the size it needs to be ...

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 pm
I don't know; the problem isn't so much the valve (which rarely fails) as the idiot who deletes it thinking that it's faulty because it won't blow through with air.

Applies to pretty much all the GM diesel fuel system come to think of it: over the years I've spent more time fixing introduced faults than anything else.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Thu May 30, 2019 2:17 pm
Hi Phil ,
I can't really criticise , except for botch , scotch lock man , as my Dear Late Dad taught me how to fix wiring , trace wiring faults etc , after his years tinkering on British Trucks in the Army ( national conscription ) British Bikes , British Cars and Printing Equipment .... Though he ended up a Psychiatric Nurse ... .??? 😳 .... Don't say much for me I know .... 😂 .
I am not surprised on what you say , my best mate and most of the decent fitters , engineers I know , talk too , all report the same experience ..... If in doubt , don't ask an idiot ! Bodget and scarper inc. ..... Of course pride in workmanship , making something of heritage , to last .... Bless Mr Dibna .... I bet he's not too fond of Accountants and Production Engineering ....
OK I will have a word with Derek at Darwin Diesels and Richard at PastParts ..... If a batch of the diaphragm valves could be done , realistically , would be great for your club , other Vauxhall ! GM , Bedford clubs ... ? Of course we both know it can be done , it's just feasibly , financially viable , done ..... Like JD is great but not at £2,000 a bottle 👀 ... 😂
It's like the front drums . I found a guy near Wolverhampton / Cannock , I have got to chase him again .... I think he quoted me new drums , pattern made from mine , £200 a piece .... I think or £120 a piece .... So much happened since , I have brain fog . Apart from my CF folder on Google chrome , I meant to keep written stuff in the camper folder that came with her . Great folks like Richard at PastParts who sorted my Chinese copy MG master cylinder etc .... :brew:
Best wishes all - Kevin - B'ham :brew:

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Dear Mr Bradshaw ,
I though I had it cracked ..... Back from MOT ( I have made a new post under CF2 3.5ton MOT ! ) a few parts I will need advice on . Anyway , engine spluttered on tickover at crossroads , gassed it , got over junction , pulled over out of the way , it died . I failed to start as battery ran out of juice . RAC man , we followed the messy bleed sequence , had to bleed pump and all four injectors .... Probably why I failed to do it , plus getting very dizzy . Dizzy spells seem to have come with this second set of chemo. To be honest after cycling back home for tools etc , I did not feel very well , so I pretty much gave up after half hearted attempt and called the RAC ..... I bet on renewal the RAC will stipulate Bedford CF's not under cover , additional cover must be purchased !!! After doing all the changes on the fuel line etc , I cold start tested , normal operating temp tested ..... All A1 OK ...... I am at a loss . The only thing I noticed , my temp cable tie holding the leak off return pipe to the tank , with t-piece connector , new metal one from AFS ( Advanced Fluid Solutions ) , the leak off pipe on No 4 injector was against the hot engine block . The problem I had last time was it went soft and popped off the injector all together , hence letting air in and killing the engine on tickover . I can only assume that the pipe touching , rubbing the block , whilst not coming off , melted the pipe ?? The RAC man asked , as it had not come off the injector , had it leaked ? I said , NO , when the engine stopped , there were no leaks anywhere , everything bone dry . He took the leak off pipe ( NO4 injector ) and inspected it . No melt on it , etc , this is new pipe .... He cut it shorter to make sure it will not touch the block . Followed your bleed sequence , as I said all four injectors had to be bled . Before I changed everything , my cold start sequence was open bleed screw a little , hand prime till diesel seeped , crack NO4 injector and air , splutter , she'd run with gas as I tightened no4 back up. Up until I approached the crossroads , she was running fine . I used new braided leak off pipe my mate Tony had . I am going to call Derek at Darwin and ask about leak off pipe . Plus I'll take some photos of what I am talking about , to help you . Plus thinking about it , the rubber return pipe to the tank is not supported by any bracket and pulling on the t-piece , leak off pipe at NO 4 which is not good , but pressure was just making me , make do , instead of being thorough. Again , hopefully a picture will help . If this is not the issue , then I am back to square one , as finding out exactly where I have an air leak , but tests on the drive , not driving , cold and operating temp were all OK ....... Headless Chicken seems to be going mental on my inner TV screen , just right about NOW 😂 👀 ..... If I don't sort this out , Road Trip won't be happening in GoodshipCF2 .... We'll have to just make a day trip in Fiat workhorse or camp , B&B with Fiat ....
Best wishes all and hope you get some decent road trips in .... All the best Kevin - B'ham :brew:

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 pm
Hi Phil ,
At a bit of a loss with air leak now .... I can only think of pump bleed screw , leak off pipes ? ..... Chemo brain, as they call it , dies not help much , not that my model cerebrum homo sapias was particularly better than chemo brain ... :lol: hope pics help , what I am getting at with pics , is GM 2.3D supposed to have some kind of supporting bracket for keak off pipe from pump , particularly at t-piece point where NO4 injection leak off pipe joins ... ?

Hope this makes sense , you can help me make sense if it , actually sort the air gremlin in the fuel system .... Gremlin the right choice of word for me :wall:
Best wishes to all and hope you get some great road trips in .... Boy my head is pounding :wall:

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 pm
Apologies to all regards image one , it simply is new rubber return pipe going down into deep parts of hell , first blurry photo is same fires of hell rising up and sending me giddy , spelling errors are distractions of the chief if hell's female PA distracting me , I wish ...... Ah well , hopefully Mr Bradshaw or someone can make sense if it . I'll need to recover bit from present situation , physical state , before I have another go , as any kind of bending etc at the moment causes the bar props to go a bit weak , funny , what to speak of the grey computer ... :lol:

Post by admin » Site Admin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 pm
Images fixed. :thumb:

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:20 pm
No definite fault found (no visible fuel leaks usually means no air leaks) but the engine starting after venting the fuel system could be -

Excessive water (from tank condensation) collected in the fuel filter: drain filter content into a clean bowl to check.

Obstruction in the return to the tank: if the return blows through clear then check the tank filler cap is a vented type.

An obstruction in the tank or its outlet pipe starving the engine of fuel also is a possibility. To check: feed the lift pump from a suitable fuel can with fresh diesel in it.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:59 am
Hi Phil ,
thanks , I had not thought about condense , water in tank while stood still ..... I put in half a fresh tank before I began the work on it . I guess the best thing is to drain the tank , bleed system through again and as RAC man said , either use clear visible pipe system to spot air or fairy liquid round connections and look for air bubbles ..... Will all have to wait until am back on my feet ..... I'll post and let you all know . Cheers and all the best :brew:
Kevin - ham :brew:

Return to “Diesel”