Is it worth it?

Post by Paul Wilde » Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm
Now we have our new addition to the family ( CF2 Freeway ) which has had a 2.3D inplanted into it at some stage, however there are bits missing.

First off is the injector pump, secondly i'm not 100% on the condition of the injectors, or the barrels/pistons for that matter as i found rags stuffed in the injector holes ( well 3 of them ) when we took delivery.

So is it worth spending the money on the bits and stripping down of the diesel or trying to locate a suitable petrol engine?

I've ran diesels in my Land rovers all my life, and yes they can be great engines, but having a diesel stuck next to my leg isn't filling me with much joy as i have enough trouble trying to distance the noise of old 200tdi's...and they were in the engine bay!

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 am
Bosch VEL 37/1 injection pump for a 23D won't come cheap...

With engine mounting posts for an upright engine the Opel CIH engine and transmission from a CF2 should bolt in; for anything else much wider at the top end the body may have to be altered to shoe-horn it in.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by bluebedouin Contact bluebedouin » Thu May 16, 2019 4:16 am
Paul Wilde wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm
... there are bits missing.
First off is the injector pump, secondly i'm not 100% on the condition of the injectors, or the barrels/pistons for that matter as i found rags stuffed in the injector holes ( well 3 of them ) when we took delivery....
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 am
I have a used one that would probably need a refurb as I got it secondhand so don't know it's history.I could put it in my store at a start price of £100 if interested.I also have some used injectors (oddly enough--3)Spooky!
Start price of £45 for the three?
Click this picture for cheap CF parts.Image

Post by Paul Wilde » Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm
Thank you bluededouin, I will take that into consideration.

My next question is how do I find out which engine was originally in our Bedford cf?

Once I have this information, I can work on an original replacement if possible or a suitable aftermarket replacement or even rebuilding the diesel currently sat in her.
I know the previous person to me had a new driveshaft and exhaust made for this engine so it is possible to keep it, but i’m gearing towards a petrol.

Post by Paul Wilde » Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 pm
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 am

With engine mounting posts for an upright engine the Opel CIH engine and transmission from a CF2 should bolt in; for anything else much wider at the top end the body may have to be altered to shoe-horn it in.
Other than bluebedouin’s offer, I have seen one on eBay for £375.

Various replacement petrol engines are around the same price if the would fit

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu May 16, 2019 7:53 pm
Paul Wilde wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 pm
My next question is how do I find out which engine was originally in our Bedford cf?
From the Chassis Number starting 97-, 13 or 14 characters long.

The Codes on the SPI (Service Parts Identification) plate also may have a bearing.

This plate can have as many as 6 or 7 lines of Codes and usually is attached to the passenger side door frame (lock side), or the vertical panel to the side of the passenger foot well on some chassis cab and chassis cowl models.

If you want to keep these details private then send them by PM (private message) to Parts. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Paul Wilde » Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 pm
Thank you Phil, I shall take a look and get back to you with the information

Post by Paul Wilde » Thu May 16, 2019 9:00 pm
Number is as follows;

97170 605413

107.5P Engine type

I have some pictures of the current diesel installed, but they’re too large to upload from my ipad

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 pm
97170 + 107.5P = panel van with 1759cc Vauxhall OHC petrol engine.

Axle beam engine mounting posts -

Vauxhall OHC petrol

GM diesel and Opel CIH petrol

Post by Paul Wilde » Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 am
We’re getting somewhere now, thank you Phil.

The engine, I assume, is the GM diesel looking at the axle and engine. To replace with an original will require re in stating the original engine mounts plus sourcing one.

lets not forget the gearbox which I need to identify too.

Pictures to add!

Return to “Diesel”