Mayonnaise everywhere

Post by Ties » Subscribing Member » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:01 pm
Hi,

lately my CF230 slant 4 has been creating a lot of mayonnaise. In the dipstick tube, in the oil filler cap, in the ventilation hose from the camshaft to the air cleaner, and this morning I also notices that the usual oil stains on the floor also contained some mayo.
Starting in the morning is getting a bit harder (usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to fire, using a lot of choke and after pumping the pedal a few times) and it takes about 1-2 minutes before she stays running without the choke.

After reading the article in the FAQ section I checked for air escaping from the camshaft ventilation hose, and (to me it at least) it seemed fine. If I held my hand over the hose I could feel a small amount of pressure escaping, and a small amount of (slightly blueish) white smoke was escaping from it, so it didn't seem to be blocked.
[youtube]J_hH8XVt9qc[/youtube]

I do use the van for a lot of short drives, (5-10 minutes, a few days a week) so that will defiantly contribute.

But is there anything I could do to at least lessen the amount of mayonnaise produced?

Re: Mayonnaise everywhere

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:11 pm
It's Christmas. Damp, cold, miserable: ideal mayonnaise weather for the Vauxhall OHC engine especially if it doesn't get out for a long run at cruising speed very often.

The mayo basically is indicating that the engine oil has an amount of water in it. The quick fix is to change the oil and filter (engine hot) and also clean out the oil filler tube and ventilation hose.

If the van is taken for a steady run at cruising speed for an hour or so soon afterwards then this should chase out most of any water left in the engine, give or take combustion gases blow-by to be expected, the water from which will condense out in the oil filler tube next time it runs cooler than the rest of the engine.

Rinse and repeat as required.

The starting problem may be related to the brake problem, i.e. intake air leak/s.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am
Like Phil says it's typical with these engines when the weather is cold and not much running is being done you might want to check the breather pipe from cam cover to air filter isn't blocked.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 pm
As well as poking through the breather pipe with a cloth wad also try cleaning out the wire gauze screen in the camshaft cover.

May need heat to deal with residues that solvent cleaner cannot shift but avoid setting fire to the gauze because it may disintegrate.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Petrol”