over heating

Post by rich4you » Subscribing Member » Sat May 13, 2017 9:51 am
HI I have a 2.3 slant.
we used our van on May Day Bank Holiday to a rally in Yeovil, Abbey Hill Steam Show, going there no problem at all, 100 miles in total, temp guage read normal all the way there, left Monday evening about 1 mile down road, overheated, got to garage filled up with fuel and water, got home no problem, temperature read normal all the way, another 100 miles. took it out last night a few mile down road, overheated again (I know I should have checked water first) then drove to Brecon, no problems normal all the way, 45miles. there is no visible leaks at all even when parked up, any ideas where to start looking. thanks in advance (Phil)
for your ideas to solve my problem.

Richard
Life's a Bitch then you Die

Re: over heating

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat May 13, 2017 11:49 am
A number of possibilities come to mind -

1. Slack fanbelt - just slack enough to slip while alternator is busy recharging the battery after starting but just tight enough to grip once the load reduces. Sometimes belt squeal may occur just after starting.

1. Thermostat slow to open from cold (but once open will stay open).

Check thermostat in a pan of water using a thermometer (easiest with kitchen digital type with a probe). Thermostat should start to open at the temperature stamped on the flange or bulb and should be fully open (about 5mm) before the water boils. Check against a new unit to be sure.

2. If viscous coupling fan fitted, coupling free-wheeling all the time.

No fan noise from a cold start can be a clue; coupling in serviceable condition won't free-wheel until the fluid inside is mobile (within about a minute from a cold start).

3. Electrical issue with the gauge, more likely with Facelift dash.

On the Facelift dash, if the fuel gauge reads high when the temperature gauge is reading high then suspect faulty voltage regulator behind the dash.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by rich4you » Subscribing Member » Sat May 27, 2017 8:26 am
I think I found the problem the alternator pulley rubbed though the bottom hose. I have fixed in with for know, but the hose is the wrong one, the bore is bigger the spigots of the rad & pump.

Richard
Life's a Bitch then you Die

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun May 28, 2017 1:20 pm
Check condition of left hand engine mounting and also whether all four radiator mounting bushes are present and correctly fitted (i.e. lower bush between radiator and body bracket, upper bush above radiator bracket on each side).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Petrol”