carburettor float dry

Post by Bertie Bedford » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:00 pm
Hi all,

Our CF1 has been sat up for a while and upon trying to start it I have noticed that the glass dome atop of the fuel pump is dry.

I would be right in thinking this whole section is the ‘fuel pump’ with the glass dome being the carburettor float?

How is it best to go about getting fuel back into this? I recall a previous post regarding a rubber hand primer pump but I’m unsure of the process to get this going so any help/steps will be appreciated!

Cheers
Matt

Re: carburettor float dry

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 pm
Carburettor float is inside the carburettor.

Glass dome on the fuel pump is just that, a glass dome.

To fill a dry fuel system a rubber bulb hand primer can be connected anywhere between the tank and fuel pump

Alternatively, connect the fuel pump inlet to a hose that will reach a can of petrol supported at about the same height as the pump then crank the engine on the starter to operate the fuel pump.

In either case the glass dome should be filled with fuel plus a bit so that fuel enters the carburettor, after which the engine should start if everything else is in working order.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Bertie Bedford » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 pm
Thanks for the response Phil. Would this be suitable? https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-fuel-t ... -8mm/85358

And where is the best place to connect it at? You mentioned anywhere between the tank and the pump itself? Not that familiar with the fuel tank and the hoses up to the pump. Apart from the fact I can see the metal hose that connects into the pump that’s about as far as I have had a look currently.

I’m assuming there would be another connection intersection under the van that I could tap into with the primer pump?

Cheers

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 pm
Laser primer bulb is the type; also available on eBay.

Fuel pipe with the Laser bulb may require some stubs of new rubber hose to connect to the van.

Follow the steel pipe from the fuel pump downwards by the side of the engine until you find a rubber connecting hose to the line from the tank: break in there.

If the rubber hose has hardened with age then bin it and replace with a new piece of hose. For 5/16-inch pipe use 8mm bore hose. For 1/4-inch pipe use 6mm bore hose.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Bertie Bedford » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm
Thanks for this Phil, job for when the wind is blowing 50mph plus! Appreciate the extra info.

Return to “Petrol”