Dipstick issues

Post by mikecsailing » Subscribing Member » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 pm
Is it just me or is it a common problem to have difficulty reading the oil level on the dipstick because there is oil all the way up it, even when its been standing a week, so no defined line of oil on it.

Is it worth trying to get a bottle brush or something down it to clear muck off the sides of the tube?
The van is a coachbuilt camper manufactured in late 79 but first registered in April 80, 2.3 petrol.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

Re: Dipstick issues

Post by teh » Subscribing Member » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:50 pm
I can't get a good reading off mine either

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm
It's a common problem and more to do with oil being drawn up between the dipstick and tube by capillary action than clogged tube unless copious oil-and-water 'mayo' emulsion is evident, another 'feature' of the Vauxhall OHC engine after a spell of trips too short for engine heat to drive off condensate in the oil.

The later, thinner dipstick and different shape tube (which your CF likely has) should overcome this but it doesn't work too well especially with new oil because the earlier, wider dipstick is better for eyeball mk 1.

Keep dipping and wiping dry until the level becomes apparent, by which time any excess oil in the bottom of the tube should have drained down into the oil pan.

Or the oil level may be too high to begin with... :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am
I had the same problem for years mine was the later narrow dipstick tube when it was changed for the earlierwider one I found it better to read I still had to wipe it and check it about five times.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by mikecsailing » Subscribing Member » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37 am
Many thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

Mike

Return to “Petrol”