Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:19 am
hi, on other forums there is usually a link for 'new posts' to enable the user to see instantly what has been posted recently. This forum, as far as i can see, has no 'new posts' link, and i have to date check every heading on the index (home) page to see if anyone has posted recently, is there any way to sort this? or is there actually a 'new posts' link and i just haven't seen it?
cheers

Re: new posts

Post by admin » Site Admin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:23 pm
New posts are indicated by the relevant forum area and section legends changing from black to red -

To access the most recent post in a section click on the symbol to the right of the username in the 'Last Post' column -

If a forum area or section legend still is red after viewing the most recent post then there will be other unread posts.

If you wish to follow particular topics (including your own) then click on 'Subscribe topic' above or below the topic page view.
You will be sent an auto-email from the board every time there is a new post.

Each forum also can be subscribed to but that can lead to umpteen auto emails ...

'Bookmark topic' works differently: this function creates a bookmark file which can be accessed via your User Control Panel > Overview > Manage bookmarks.

Adding a 'Posts since last visit' link is feasible but like a lot of such conveniences not built into default phpBB it's something else to chew up resources both in terms of not a lot of software doing an amazing amount of stuff already and finding the time to bolt on and road test code that not only works as intended but also doesn't affect anything else as a consequence.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:18 pm
Yes I always know when a new post has been added as it shows up in red just like admin says.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:50 am
thanks guys... i'd worked that bit out anyway, but i meant is there a 'new posts' section that lists all the new posts only, so i didn't have to scroll down the list checking what was new etc....other forums have this function

Post by admin » Site Admin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:19 pm
Other forums ... are not CF Org. :)

Existing phpBB plugins mostly are substandard and not fit for use as is.

Properly implementing post count since last visit (one large chunk of code) linking to a list of new posts (another chunk of code) will be costly in time as is the case for all custom code for it to work well, which is why available quick and dirty plugins are crap. They often are inaccurate as well.

Proper implementation will need time that I haven't got and likely unaffordable cost in bribing someone else to do it.

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:08 am
fair enough :)

Return to “Comments on website or forum”