for the love of Puddles

Post by wnderer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
today I started striping down the donor van in preperation to remove the front crossmember complete with engine & gearbox

The Donor Van fitted with a Opel 2.3 diesel Engine & 4speed overdrive gearbox however I wont be fitting this engine I've a frontera 2.3 turbo diesel that i will be fitting using the parts needed from the donor engine

The Patient

The Problem no room to work on the smoke on startup, lots of backpressure,noisy tappets,worn clutch, transit 2.5 Di that is fitted in my camper

I thought I had bought a facelift CF but the age of the donor is wrong
it looks like someone has facelifted a 1978 Mk1 probably at the same time as the engine was changed as this engine has 2 dipsticks & a oil feed from the sump to the block I'll take pictures once I've the engine out

inner wings dont meet the front wings

23/2/2014
got all the bolts out of the crossmember today, propshaft disconnected just got the brake pipes & gearbox mounting bolts tomorrow so all being well the engine should be out tomorrow although I'm a bit worried as it's going to easy so far

24/2/2014well today I got the engine out in the time honoured way of dropping the front crossmember

could this be a turbo engine without the turbo that someone has fitted the as it appears to have a oil return pipe it also has 2 dip sticks??

2 dipsticks 1 in the block & 1 in the sump

seems I got it wrong the oil pipe on the sump is the oil feed for the vacuum pump thanks for keeping me right Phil
Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Replace photobucket links.

Re: for the love of Puddles

Post by wnderer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:23 pm
I was asked today why I was changing the engine when it would be easier just to fit the turbo & injector pump onto the bedford engine i have checked the compression ratios the bedford is 22 to 1 frontera 23 to 1 so from that it would seem possable with a slight decrease in power unless anyone knows better

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 pm
I'd be inclined to go for swapping a complete 2.3D engine that's running ok rather than swap heads even if the bottom ends are identical because installing a head often can take longer to finish and can run into problems like the head needing work (i.e. costing more money) because it has been disturbed.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by wnderer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm
thanks phil, wasnt thinking about changing the head just fitting the turbo on to the bedford head

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm
Oops :oops:
:)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by wnderer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 pm
well today i changed the flywheels on the engine in pereration to fit the clutch & gearbox to the frontera engine, (bedford flywheel is solid, frontera flywheel is a dual mass) when I hit a slight problem the pilot/spigot bearing on the frontera engine has been damaged so thing are on hold until I can source one :(

Post by wnderer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 pm
Finally after 2 days work & the man flu lots of siezed nuts & bolts Puddles finally surrendered her engine, the donor van only took half a day as everything had been greased when sometime in the a PO had the foresight to use copper ease on all the bolts holding the cross member & all the other mounting bolts.

rear of engine housing & gearbox tunnel made to fit the transit engine

Left hand side of engine housing made to fit the transit engine

Right hand side of engine housing made to fit the transit engine

interior pics showing gearbox tunnel

underside of gearbox tunnel

Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by wnderer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 am
Well the engine fitted without any cutting but I did have to make some minor adjustments to the bulkhead to clear the inlet manifold & the injector pump as it has a extra fitting on it to inject more fuel for the turbo sorry no picture for the injector pump adjustment but it was the same adjustment for it

I also removed the EGR valve from the engine which helped fitting as well, I also rotated the turbo outlet from 11.o'clock to 9.00 o'clock to clear the steering link for the exhaust I used the Frontera downpipe

turbo at 11.00 o'clock

turbo at 9.00 o'clock

for the air filter I had to use a cone filter which I'm not happy with (induction roar)

air filter

frontera downpipe

to which I was able fit my existing exhaust

I have also fitted a electric lift/fuel pump which is wired via the alternator and starter so that it will only run when starting & when the engine is running

following my loss of oil pressure episode, I've now wired the stop solenoid on the injector pump via the oil pressure switch, which means no oil pressure the engine will stop

before

after

seats are from my sadly departed XJS

Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by wnderer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:54 am
well I made the mot station on mon, but never got a pass Smiley failed on, offside front wheel bearing, nearside sidelights front & rear, number plate lights, horn (all were working when i left the van the cf fuse box strikes again)brake vacuum build up to slow, 48% RBT brake imbalance on the rear brakes, RBT service brake 47%

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 am
Full marks for perseverance: things can be horribly slow when working outside dodging the weather.

You shouldn't be so far off getting it on the road now though.
Best of luck sorting the brakes and wiring.

Return to “Blogs”