My New CF

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm
I took a trip up to North Wales this week to take a look at a 1978 CF1 that's been sitting immobile in a field for a while.

A couple of days up there fettling and it was soon running and ready enough for the trip back home. I took it slow and got the old girl all the way back to Bristol.

It's a 1978 250 with the 2.3 petrol slant engine and a totally rotten coach body on the back (soon to be demolished).

The gearbox is of a type I've not owned/seen before, with the gearlever going into a little box on the side of the box. Is this the ZF/4 box? It also appears to have a laycock on the back (cylindrical section behind the gearbox, with a solenoid on the side, and a switch on the gearknob) but this wasn't working on the drive down (the wires to the solenoid go nowhere currently).

Also, strangely, seems to have had bus seats stuck in the cab at some point. They must be be the one set of chairs ever made that's even less comfortable than the Bedford standard issue ones!

Photos will follow...

Cheerio
Matt

Re: My New CF

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:52 pm
Congrats on getting it home. What's the plan after demolition - a rebuild?

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm
Not much up to this uploading images lark, but here is the rotty old girl:

RobX, not entirely sure what I'd like to put on the back yet... but whatever it is, it wont be a 40 year old box of rotten wood, mouse poo, and desperate lashings of silicone sealant.
Last edited by MattA24 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:20 pm
Oh, I do know that feeling... :) This story starts in a similar way.

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:31 pm
The grand plan with this van is to get it into top mechanical fettle, using my rather ropy "parts" van (aka the one I drive everywhere) as a donor where possible.

Mission No.1 is to change the prop centre baring, as the cushion is totally shredded. The prop unbolted from the diff flange easily, but it looked like access to the centre baring hanger bolts was going to be made difficult by the camper water tank. Luckily, the cushion was in bad enough state that I was able to withdraw the front of the shaft through the remains of the cushion, then drop the hanger once the shaft was out the way:

I was expecting the propshaft to split in the middle around the centre baring but it doesn't. Possibly it's held together by the bolt tucked inside the centre joint?

While it's off, I thought I'd check the rest of the shaft over... All the universal joints feel really good, with no play and no tightness, and I'll squish some new grease into them.

The tail end of the shaft has a sort-of slidey sprongy bit (seen bottom of photo 1 above). Is anyone able to tell me if this sprongy thing requires any kind of servicing?

While I was slithering about under the van, I also took the cover off the diff to let the old oil out (and because I've never looked inside a diff before). Before I put that back together, is there anything else I can check/test in here?

Lastly, I took a look at the gearbox, which is a Vauxhaull 4 speed with overdrive (whose wiring came disconnected). On the long drive home from wales, the box wined a bit 1st and 2nd (noticeable compared to my other vauxhall 4speed), so I'm inclined to try and drop the gearbox out while I've got the prop out the way to see if it needs any attention.

By good fortune, I've a friend who is a retired formula1 gearbox engineer, so hopefully this old box shouldn't stretch his talents! :geek:

ps: Thanks for your tips on the photos, Phil! :thumb:
Last edited by MattA24 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:47 pm

On short wheelbase models with gasoline engines the centre bearing and support consists of a sealed ball bearing (1) housed in a rubber cushion (2) with an integral mounting bracket (3). Two mud slingers (4) protect the bearing.

To split the front propellor shaft from the rear shaft straighten the locking tab then remove the retaining centre bolt and C-washer. Rear shaft then can be withdrawn.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Thanks Phil. It was the bolt I was looking at :)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:11 pm
Rear joint is a plunge joint - like a constant velocity joint but with more axial movement available.

As long as the rubber gaiter is intact it shouldn't need any attention.

Do not disturb: almost impossible to find replacements.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 pm
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:11 pm
Do not disturb: almost impossible to find replacements.
Darn! Irreplaceable things make me nervous. I don't even have the comfort of a spare plunger on the other 250, as it's got a huge tube of a prop with no centre bearing at all.

Luckily the rubber on this one looks as good as new :)

Post by MattA24 » Subscribing Member » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:21 pm
I took another wiggle under the new van today for further poking around. Generally the van gives the impression of something that's been mechanically well-treated for for the last 38 years: There's new brake lines and hoses here and there, new ball joints, new dust covers a-plenty with shiny clips, and very little corrosion to speak of.

But then, oh dear, we come to the gearbox, which appears to have received the careful attention of (to quote Phil) one of the Bodger Clan. :o

It's a Vauxhall 4-speed with overdrive, however the overdrive wiring is all unplugged. It's got a sleeve type tailpiece which I gather means it did not start it's life in a CF?

The first thing I noticed was the gearbox cross-member, which looks really bashed about, and for some reason the steady arm (or whatever it's called) isn't in it's usual place, but has been left bolted to the bottom of the cross-member in a purely decorative fashion:

With the steady arm out the way, you can see the setup has left the bottom gearbox mounting bolt straining forwards to fit the hole it's been shoved in:

Cross-member taken off for a better look at a few too many holes and a few too many dents:

The cross-member was held on with one odd 17mm bolt in the mix. It also featured some plastic spaces under the bolts that my other CF doesn't have:

I also found the gearbox mounting attached to the gearbox on with a random metric bolt on one side, one of the gearbox bottom casing bolts missing, and the bolt arrowed in the next photo halfway out of it's thread:

I guess all this cronkeyness hints at why the centre bearing cushion shredded itself!

I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to drop the gearbox and overdrive out, if only so I can give it a going over for more loose bolts (and some new gaskets, it's a bit weepy), or leave it where it is...

I'm also contemplating swapping the gearbox cross-member with the straight and unmolested one on my "spares" van. Quick question: Does anyone know if the mounting is supposed to land in a different place on the cross-member with an overdrive fitted vs without? Ie: Do I need to make a new hole? :?:

Also while I'm down here, the wiring. There's bits of wire attached to three bits of the gearbox: (1) A sensor on the turret, (2) a sensor attached to a thing on the opposite side of the box to the turret, and (3) what I assume to be the actuating solenoid attached for the laycock bit itself. Is anyone able to educate me as to what sensor is what, and how they should be wired together? :?:

(Currently, what I assume to be the actuating solenoid is attached to a wire that goes all the way back to where the reverse lamp used to be, so I'm guessing it's all screwy at the moment!)

Also also, while I'm pondering questions, those spacer blocks on the cross-member bolts... are they expected on the overdrive setup vs the Vauxhall 4speed setup? Or on the late 70's setup vs the early 70's setup? :?:

Cheerio!

Matt

Return to “Blogs”