CF camping car

Post by tooffy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 pm
Just bought a 1980's CF camper (my wife wanted a round noze CF), and my son loves it.

It has currently a 1.8 motor, but i plan to change it for a 2.3.

I'm working on the living area these days, has to be cleaned up, and a litlle work on the fridge, radiator and electrical supply.

I also separated the cabin and the living area electrival system, by adding a second battery and circuits breaker (in, same time, I put a T-max dual battery system for charging management).

I also worked on driver seat to be able to rotate it forward (to access the battery) (will add picture soon), I'll make same on passenger side, tu put tooling under the seat (note that our CF has been modified, with a 3rd seat in the front row (an Renault espace seat in the middle).

Re: CF camping car

Post by Robin from France » Subscribing Member » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:15 pm
Nice van Clément, though you really should paint it a different colour!

Robin

Post by tooffy » Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 pm
Hi Robin,

I think we already know each other, from a french board.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue May 08, 2018 2:08 pm
tooffy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 pm
...I put a T-max dual battery system for charging management).
If you can solder circuit boards then could make your own split charge system using NE555 as a voltage comparator -

Diagram represents state with output relay energised.
'BAT' = main battery.
'OUT' = second battery.

Set 'Hi' for cut-in voltage (14V nominal) - green LED lights, output relay energised (tungsten bulb glows dimly if used to prevent output relay from overheating).
Set 'Lo' for drop-out voltage (13V nominal) - red LED lights.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by tooffy » Tue May 08, 2018 3:00 pm
Interesting, but i already had the Tmax from a former project.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue May 08, 2018 3:17 pm
Makes sense. :)

Manual over-ride with the T-max is worth having. (I have a separate system operated by a switch on the dash for connecting both batteries together, for when the alarm drains the starting battery.)

I might steal the LED 'power' indicator idea though. :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by tooffy » Tue May 08, 2018 3:50 pm
yes the override may be usefull in case of motor battery failure.

In our case, une only thing that takes power from motor battery is radio, and I put a 70Ah battery (the biggest i could put under driver seats, it may take long before the radio drains it.
Also, I needed the voltage indicator for each battery, on this point the Tmax is useful.

If I add solar panels on the roof, i'd consider adding a PWM only on accessories battery, or changing the Tmax by a Ctek d250 smartpass (but, for the cost, I may before change my fridge for a model with a compressor).

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Tue May 08, 2018 7:26 pm
I'd been wondering where to put my leisure battery in my rebuild. Now I know. :) Thanks, tooffy.

Post by tooffy » Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 am
I put leisure battery at original place. And motor battery under driver seat (motor battery is smaller)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed May 09, 2018 10:28 am
tooffy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 am
... battery under driver seat ...
You may have done this already: not easy to tell from your photograph.

To prevent problems due to inevitable corrosion around the the seat base attachment to the floor the ground (earth) connection to the base should have a cable link between the base and floor panel. Battery ground cable ought to be bolted to the floor panel, not the seat base.

Also make sure that vent gases from the battery under the seat go outside the van. Sealed batteries should have one or two vent holes or may have adaptor/s already fitted for attaching vent pipe/s. Google images 'battery gas vent' :)

Return to “Blogs”