Re: Advantura Rebuild

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am
Funny I was working on ours yesterday as well !!

We took the decision to try and keep as much looking original as possible and have used these people for the aluminium strips https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/product- ... mouldings/ and the infill pvc strip as well. For ours we used the waste band and corner mouldings. A good quality sealant is required as well such as Sikaflex 710 as well. That stuff is like S8#T to a blanket so carful how you handle it if you do.

Nice work by the way :)
Nigel Packer

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:04 am
Yes they are the moulding strips you need to finish the joints off potty they are so short but like you say you can’t beat sykoflex I even stuck my solar panel mounting to the roof with it.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:28 pm
Thanks, Nigel! I'm not sure the waist band will look right arranged vertically - I'm now thinking of cutting a slot and using this stuff. All these PU adhesives love to string, and seem to get everywhere no matter how hard you try. :) I'll be using Magnum's corner mouldings around the outside though, once I've got the roof on. Each side is 10m, so I'll need a few - but at least 2.5m will be a bit easier to manage while working it around the corners.

This evening I trimmed the top of the third sheet so it's flush with the roof - bit cold out to do much more than that.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am
The waist band is the correct stuff to use as you screw through the centre with sykoflex behind to seal it, yes it might not look right being vertical I don’t think anything will as when the aluminium sheets are put on originally they are put on lengthwise and they overlap to prevent water seeping in. with the “T” section like you say you will have to cut a groove but then you can only stick it on
Dave

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 pm
Clearly it's been bitterly cold around the rest of the UK recently, but in Weymouth it's still a balmy (barmy?) winter. Wet and cold last weekend, so I put the shelf unit together ready to attach it to the right wall. This weekend it even got up to 10C (meaning I could use glue) so I attached it and also fitted the battery box and located the water heater (can't fit it until I've cut the hole for the outer wall).
From the 3D model, I thought it would feel more cramped, but it's actually quite spacious between the unit and the kitchen area opposite. I haven't decided what to do with that big empty space in the unit yet: probably a drawer or two and a cupboard.
Next up is planning how to adapt the electrics from the donor caravan (which will all run internally: MIUAYGA principles do not allow for thinking far enough ahead to put wires in the walls). Mostly this will involve cutting a lot of cables shorter and folding others. Also picking up the top bunk bed frame from IKEA on Friday, then I'll see about how it'll be fixed to the walls. Once that's decided, I can order up the right wall skin and fit it (weather permitting..!)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Not burying wires so that they can be re-routed or tapped into as work progresses is a fundamental principle of MIUAYGA! :D
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:29 am
Packern wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am
Funny I was working on ours yesterday as well !!

We took the decision to try and keep as much looking original as possible and have used these people for the aluminium strips https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/product- ... mouldings/ and the infill pvc strip as well. For ours we used the waste band and corner mouldings. A good quality sealant is required as well such as Sikaflex 710 as well. That stuff is like S8#T to a blanket so carful how you handle it if you do.

Nice work by the way :)
Looking again at this moulding it’s seems very expensive it’s going to cost over £150.00 per side of roof that’s over £300.00 and that’s in 2.5 mar lengths there is somewhere you can buy a roll but I don’t know where it is.
Dave

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 am
Hi Dave. Hmm... 10m per side is eight 2.5m lengths for both at £19.95 a length = £159.60 -5% for SBMCC membership = I make that £152. I'm not counting shipping as I'd be ordering other stuff with it anyway. Even if a roll came in cheaper: I'm confident I can manage to put a bend or two in a straight section, but think I would struggle to unroll a moulding like that into nice, clean straight sections (and around 90% of that ten meters is straight).
These are a bit smaller in section, but are available in 5.0m lengths at £25.99. Unfortunately, they don't ship in lengths over 3m (so presumably I'd get them as 3+2) and are in East Yorkshire - a bit far from me for collection!
I will keep looking though and post if I find a cheaper source.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:51 pm
Sorry my mistake I must have been thinking of the rest of the mouldings you would need if you were doing it as standard but you’ve got your sheet joints vertical.
Dave

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 pm
Ah, I see. You're probably not far out overall, considering the simple right-angle section that will go around the bottom edge of the skirt, and the t-section inserts I'm leaning towards for covering the sheet joins. I can live with the cost if it looks great. :)

Return to “Blogs”