Re: Advantura Rebuild

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm
Thanks Dave, will give it a go I think.
It looked not too difficult a job so that is one for later in the season. 👍

Rob that is what I did with my Advantura, lots of upgraded parts from caravan scrap yards.
1 of the best upgrades was a Cascade 2 electric/gas boiler so when on site hot water was on tap at no extra cost and gas when wild camping if needed.

Tor

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm
@Tor: the Abi has a water heater, and I'll be transplanting it into the camper. Hot water always welcome!

Well, I didn't get what I wanted done: instead I had a new crown fail on me and wasn't up to work, then went on a trip to Mexico and the abscess blew on the plane: nice trip! So one less tooth, but one less problem too.

Back to work on the camper again today as I've a couple of days off. First order was to properly finish the rear-left wall I'd already built. This was no longer quite the right fit, and needed a bit a modification for different size (and number of) windows. Redesigned frame looks like this:
Differences are the left edge moved in about 7cm (I guess I measured something wrong) and the window apertures are higher. So today was a lot of cutting, trimming, half-cutting and gluing. Almost all done: just the half-cuts on the right-hand window's verticals, and the beam across the wheel well to do and it's finished.

This frame will then be the master for the right wall. I've cut most of the horizontals, so tomorrow I'll use it to mark out the verticals and hopefully will have caught up a bit.

Weekly Update

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:28 pm
Another weekend of good(ish) weather and I've made the most of it! Got the following done:
  • Right wall almost finished (one more vertical and a few details),
  • One side of the Luton removed for autopsy,
  • New Luton walls built,
  • Built the step: deeper as per Dave's suggestion and a little wider so it can take the door from the caravan.
Also a few design changes:
  • I was going to integrate the Luton frame into the main body frame, but then I saw that A-Plan didn't do this in the original design. This got me thinking why, and I came to the conclusion that a single frame matched to the angles of floor, front wall and Luton floor may be a challenge. So I copied their method and hence the separate Luton frames. These will be glued and screwed to the wall frames during assembly.
  • I was going to put a window between the door and front wall, but decided against it. There'll already be a kitchen window just behind the door, and a big roof light - so really enough light, while a window is a weak point.
  • I missed a bit on the Luton: the edge wraps around under the floor, but my design stopped at the floor. So I cut up the two front edges I'd already made and modified them into corner pieces.
This is what the original Luton looks like under the skin:

And these are the new frames:
To keep them consistent, I built one first then used that as a template for the second. In the picture, the second frame is glued up while clamped to the first (with polythene under the glue joints, though the glue is dry at this point and I've sanded the frames to remove some minor inconsistencies at the corners). This helps keep them almost identical and also straight while drying.

This is the right wall just after gluing up:
Like the Luton frames, the right wall was assembled on top of the left wall to check consistency. The difference was that I hadn't thought of the polythene under the joints so there are spacers keeping them apart. See the sash clamps pressed into service because there's never enough normal clamps..!

And these are the two frames together:
The right frame is a lot lighter because I over-engineered and modified the left one. There will be more frame elements added as the furniture is fitted, only it won't be half-jointed, just glued and stapled.

Finally, there's the step:
First I cut the bigger size out with the jigsaw. I struggled a bit with removing the polystyrene when I did the notch for the fuel filler, but this time I had a brainwave and used a 10mm wood drill to chew it while a vacuum cleaner caught the debris. Then glued some 44mm wide wood in and clamped it.

The box is pretty simple glue and screw construction from 15mm plywood left over from some other part of the project.

And here it is fitted. It's not quite right - it's a millimetre closer to the outside than it should be, so when I fit the skirt over the face I'll have to rout it down a bit where the step is, but that's no big deal.

Next step is to do the front-left wall and then wait for the next lot of wallboard to arrive. When it does, the walls will go up, the roof beams will go on and I'll have something that is at least enclosed, if not yet waterproof. :)
Last edited by RobX on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 am
Keep up the good work your doing a brilliant job the finished job should be superb at the rate your going.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Short Evening

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 pm
Thanks, Dave! :thumb:

Only had a couple of hours this evening, so knocked up the skirt for the step area:
I know I said you can't have enough clamps, but there is a limit to how many you can use at once. I believe this is it!

I even remembered to drill the mounting holes this time - something I've consistently failed to do for the rest of the frame and will no doubt be cursing myself for later.

Interior panels and trim ordered and should be here Wednesday. I think I'd better use tomorrow evening to take my wife out to dinner as she's not seen much of me lately. :)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:23 pm
Once the side frames are on and the roof sticks are fitted you should be on the home run. Fingers crossed... :)

Excellent blog, excellent work. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

One small step for (this) man...

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 pm
Thanks, Phil! :)

Over yesterday and today I've painted the outside of the step and the inside of the skirt, then glued and screwed it all together:
Somehow it's a bit longer than it was when I first cut it. Or maybe the floor shrunk. Anyway: If I need to trim that back edge, I will.

It looks so nice I'm almost afraid to use the step in case it breaks. :)

Re: A pleasant weekend...

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:48 pm
No rain for days now down here, and none on the forecast (whatever that's worth). That means lots of opportunity to make progress...

Friday evening I built the front part of the left wall and Saturday was all about integrating that into the rest of the left wall, as well as how it will fit together with the Luton wall. Most of the technical challenge was figuring out how to put the angled part of the roof together. Much half-jointing! Here's a picture of the entire wall loose fitted together while the glue dries on the top door frame and the angled roof:
Old batteries on clamping duty. :)

Then today was all about finally gluing some wall panels onto the frame. This drew a lot of comments from the regular spectators (neighbours, etc.) along the lines of "it's really coming along now". Funny, isn't it: the hundreds of hours spent so far had little impact, but half a day sticking wallpapered boards to a frame and suddenly it's progress. :) Here's the left wall (without Luton wall):
The black bits are rounded corners for the door (R70mm) and windows (R50mm). I 3D-printed these. :) Interesting that in the space of a year the supplier changed their plywood (darker brown was ordered last year). Luckily, the wallpaper side is consistent..! You can also see three temporary reinforcements: two across the door frame and one in the top-front corner where the Luton wall will complete the assembly.

Also noticed some flaws in the right wall: somehow I forgot to change the height of the beam that is the top of the window line - luckily there's only one window that side and I haven't put the front-most vertical on yet, so it's just a matter of chopping off one beam and replacing it. I also need some 44mm wood above the incorrect line, since that's where the floor of any lockers I'll fit needs to be, but that can be added later as required.

Next job: put the right wall down onto this left wall, fix the errors and get the angled part of the roof line aligned and fixed; then wallboard it. I've got the next two days off, so should have that done by Tuesday, then it's a week off for a family holiday in Crete. Once we're back, I'm going to rip out the rest of the Luton and fit the walls and roof beams. The verticals of the current cover frame will be converted to an internal frame to give it all rigidity, and the current roof panels (3.6mm plywood) will become a temporary roof, with polythene sheets over all for weatherproofing.

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am
What craftsmanship Rob👍
Any plans in starting up restoration shop for Advantura campers etc 😉🤔😀😳😱
Keep the updates comming
Tor

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 pm
Cheers, Tor! :) In fact, I have pondered whether I could make a business of it. Need to finish one before I think about another though!

Another busy day today: as advertised, the right wall has been corrected for the window, the angled part fitted and aligned and the whole thing fitted with wall boards. So both walls are now sitting back-to-back, learning how to be flat and straight with the assistance of gravity:
The plywood sheet is there to weight down the panel while the glue dries (with the help of a couple of car batteries).

It's now back in the garage with all the other stuff that's waiting to go on:

It'll be nice to have the other half of the garage usable again; it's been like this for around a year now. :) Unfortunately, tomorrow I need to put a fence up in the back garden so I'm signing off now until next Thursday. I hope everyone enjoys the heatwave...

Return to “Blogs”