Re: Auto-sleeper Clubman interior refurbishiment

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm
Hi Martin, If you had an Advantura the quality I think is much better all my cupboards are veneer finish with a polly type surround and hinge assembly they use the pieces they cut out for the doors, the headlining is carpeted but inside the shower is vynel wallpaper which after 37 years mine is falling off but it's lasted well.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by cfnutt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm
Hi Dave,

Yes, I think you're right, the Adventura was finished to a higher specification internally. I suppose Auto Sleeper had spent most of their money on providing a GRP body on the Clubman, which at the time must have been an expensive process, so had to make internal savings to compensate. Internally, in the hidden parts, Auto Sleeper did not provide much insulation. The roof lining had fibreglass loft insulation above, although on mine it was rather sparse, but the side walls, although having glued on carpeting, had no insulation at all, nor the floor. Also, my side windows are not double glazed, so there would have been a massive heat loss through the GRP shell. The panelling in the toilet/shower compartment does have some fibreglass behind it, but again, it's very thin and has sagged a lot over the years ( a bit like me! ). Although I'm not bothering to insulate the floor, I am the sides, having removed the old lining carpet. The 25mm polystyrene sheeting sticks quite well with a non solvent 'no nails' type adhesive. It needs to be glued or else with body flexing it's likely to squeak, which would be more than annoying! Then I can use new lining carpet on 6mm plywood over the top as a finisher. As I see it, the main advantage of the GRP body over the more traditional timber clad framework is the lack of leaks, although side windows and roof lights can still leak and damage interior fitments and provide endless hours of amusement trying to trace the source. I have been lucky in that respect and not had to remedy any leaks although I am having to replace all three skylights as the UV has killed the plastic over 26 years and made it brittle. All good fun!

Post by cfnutt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:15 pm
Starboard side with insulation glued in place. The battens are glued to the inside of the GRP shell with P40 resin/matting and seem very strong. They also provide somewhere to screw the carpeted panels to.
Last edited by cfnutt on Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm
Looking good so far although the use of polystyrene sheets is something I wouldn't use for insulation the reason is it's very inflammable on the barge I did with my brother we used the fibreglass insulation, we painted the steel shell with a kind of tar paint and stuck the fibreglass insulation on then finished off with veneer plyboards with panelling to hide the joints looks very effected when done.
Dave

Post by cfnutt » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:38 pm
Hi Dave,

Yes the polystyrene is very inflammable, but so is the GRP shell and the timber used both to line it and frame it, so where do you draw the line? If there's an engine fire ( it's petrol ) it will almost certainly catch the body alight and then there are two cylinders of propane gas to consider which are potential bombs. I've seen a large GRP motor boat with it's engine on fire explode when the gas cylinders were subjected to the heat and the burnt out hull was all that remained. No one was hurt fortunately as they had jumped into their dingy, but it must have been frightening. I'd rather be careful not to let a fire start than try to extinguish it after the event. Unfortunately, accidents do happen.

Martin

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:50 am
Hi Martin, I know what you mean I've seen a kitchen fire were the ceiling had polystyrene tiles and boy did they go up the point I was trying to make is the fibreglass insulation would be like a fire break after all it's not the fibreglass in a GRP shell that burns it's the resin anyway enough on that subject. I wanted some new foam for the seating area in my camper I was shocked at the price of it so I bought a king size memory foam mattress for £70. And bought some flame retarded brushed velvet and made my own they look good and are up to the latest standard, nice to see your camper is coming along smoothly and good luck with the rest of the work you have to do on it.
Dave

Post by cfnutt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:54 pm
Hi Dave,

Thanks, sometimes the work list to do seems never ending! Yes, upholstery foam is very expensive these days but that's a good idea using memory foam.

Martin

Return to “Blogs”