Auto-sleeper Clubman interior refurbishiment

Post by cfnutt » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:27 am
Having removed the old headlining together with the rudiments of insulation that was fitted when new, I've now glued polystyrene into the roof voids before fitting the new plywood lining. The silver cut outs are where the new led light fittings will be. I've fitted the plywood lining as a trial fitting, just need to cover it now with the new lining carpet. Meanwhile, some electrical cable to run to connect up the new fittings.

Martin

https://i.imgsafe.org/f23c3bef46.jpg
Last edited by cfnutt on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Auto-sleeper Clubman interior refurbishiment

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:13 pm
Hi Martin
Keep us informed how you Progress , I'm putting some new roof lining into mine useing 1/8" ply sheeting , what I found difficult was fixing where they butt against the lockers , originally the ceiling was put in before the lockers were fitted . This in a Pioneer model.

John

Post by cfnutt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:29 pm
Hi John,

I took the screws out holding the front of the lockers to the roof beams and allowed the lockers to tip forward just enough to get the plywood lining to slide above the lockers, that's how the old roof lining was fitted. A bit fiddly as the plywood is quite a large area to hold up in place on your own. I used 6mm WPB ply and have covered it in lining carpet.
I'll post some more photos of the installation after I've fitted the new LED down lighters. The lockers are then screwed upwards through the plywood and into the roof beams sandwiching everything together.

Martin
Last edited by cfnutt on Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by tajmall » Subscribing Member » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:53 pm
Hi - just joined here and found this just in time as I'm about to do the same on mine and was wondering about the cupboards so thank you :-) Did you get it finished ??

Post by cfnutt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:56 pm
Hi, yes I've fitted the new headlining and screwed the cupboards back up into the moulded framework above. The lights are led in stainless frames designed for marine use. Sorry about the quality of the photo, took it under the winter cover with only a tiny flash gun. Had to move the old girl to my new address recently so haven't had time to do any more yet, but can't wait to get back to working on her. So much easier to work on things when they're outside on your driveway instead of a 40 minute drive away.

Martin

https://i.imgsafe.org/f221cb7b81.jpg
Last edited by cfnutt on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:37 pm
Hi if you intend putting a new roof lining in your camper the way I would do it is to take the cupboards out, it may be a bit more work but that's how they were done originally and I think it would be easier in the end. I think I would use veneer ply boards you can get them from 5.5mm to 25mm thickness I've used these before with my brother when he did his narrow boat from a bare shell.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by tajmall » Subscribing Member » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:29 pm
Hi, That's brilliant thanks Martin :-) My initial plan is just to do the kitchen end for now where there is water damage - and my new plan now includes recessed lights !! As soon as funds are available I will do the rest. Not rushing because needs work on engine and MOT first and as I'm parked on my drive the weather in the North East is not the best lol.
HI Dave - since reading your post I have sourcing veneer ply boards - didn't even know they existed lol. That will make life much easier than what I had planned. From what I've read on here the cupboards are practically impossible to get out but at the moment I am just doing by kitchen/ shower and don't have cupboards to worry about.
I was looking for something else a few weeks ago and saw my Clubman on Ebay and just had to have it !!!! No MOT and obvious water damage etc. but I like a challenge :-)
Thank you both for your help
Tracey

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:14 am
Hi for the shower area you can get polly/plastic type about 5/6" wide if I remember correctly they overlap a bit like T&G flooring boards you can get them at B&Q being plastic type they are waterproof another thing we used on my brothers narrow boat might be helpful info.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 am
Some great craftmanship there Martin, ouses quality.
Worth the extra effort :thumb:

Tor

Post by cfnutt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:31 am
Hi Tor,

Thank you for your kind words. I must confess to being picky with internal finishes and dislike the vinyl wallpapered look for head linings and loo/shower compartments. I'm aware that the manufacturers used and still use that finish for cheapness and when new, it doesn't look too bad, but it's not particularly durable long term. The door fronts on my Auto sleeper cupboards are vinyl covered plywood with a Ramin wood surround, and these are as originally fitted. The previous coachbuilt Bedford CB22 Auto Sleeper had similar cupboard doors to my Clubman except that they were veneered in real oak and then varnished. Costly to produce so they were vinyl covered instead to save production costs. I shall be veneering all my door fronts as I prefer not to have peeling edges of vinyl!

It's my intention to upgrade most aspects of the interior to 21st century standards with the emphasis on durability and comfort but with the bonus of having a reliable Bedford that can be repaired without needing a laptop and a Degree in Automotive electronics which I certainly don't have!

Martin

Return to “Blogs”