Tappet adjuster screws

Post by 24mech » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:21 am
Good morning everybody, I've started on the major service of my beddy and hit a snag already :( I can't get the correct exhaust valve clearance, I see from my haynes manual that there are other tappet screws available to increase the gap, my question is before I start tralling the web has anyone purchased these screws and if so where from. I'll be getting the gaskets from J&M but I have no idea where to get the screws you help and advice will be much apreciated. Regards

Re: Tappet adjuster screws

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:01 am
First and second under-size adjuster screws may be available from Adrian Bailey Classics - see Sources - general list for contact details - but screws can be expensive.

An alternative approach is to try the thicker camshaft housing gasket A59-8 or A59-15 from J&M and juggle the screws you have for best fit. Screws can be ground down on the taper if necessary and sometimes just removing the wear marks can be enough.

Worst case is having to remove the head to fit hard exhaust valve seats machined to restore original valve stem height (1.06 to 1.07 inch according to adjuster screws wear); inlet valve seats usually can be left alone because they suffer little from recession. However, John at J&E Engineering in Crawshawbooth (Sources - general list again) is set up for doing the job spot on and he does a neat job of sleeving worn valve guides too. Have a look at this topic (from bottom of second page).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by 24mech » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:57 pm
Thanks for the reply Phil, I've been to J&M today and picked up a head gasket set (minus the head gasket, they are out of stock until next month) and a few different thickness of cam box housing gaskets, I'll pull it down tomorrow and see what I can do with the gaskets, I'll measure the valve stem hight and report back on my findings, Regards.

Post by 24mech » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:25 pm
Well... rain stops play :( I got as far as removing and refitting the cam box with the new thicker gasket (forgot to measure the valves but I may yet be fitting a different thicknes gasket) before the rain set in I guess I'll have a go at setting the tappets tomorrow before I pop over to the meet in hazzy. Does anyone know where the best place to get a crank seal from

who ever fitted the last one has damaged it so while I'm in here I may as well replace it. Also the timing for the auxillary shaft pulley was out

I've corrected this and am just curious if this would have caused any issues? I hope the clearances are good tomorrow. Regards
Last edited by admin on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 pm
Crankshaft front seal available as NGD571 from J&M Gaskets and Seals. Also in stock in the club Parts Department.

Seal can be difficult to fit without tearing of the rubber around the outer shell unless a seal installer is to hand.
Filing a lead-in chamfer around the block and front main bearing cap can help with installation but this is best done during engine assembly so that all metal dust and filings can be cleaned off so that none can enter the front main bearing.

Auxiliary pulley V mark adrift by a tooth or three can be accommodated by shifting the distributor mainshaft position for best range of timing adjustment.
If a round mark is facing forwards then the pulley should be reversed to show the V mark or the useful range of ignition timing will be limited to one end or other of the bolt slots in the distributor body.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by 24mech » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:49 am
Once again thank you Phil, the timing is correct now and I'll reposition the dizzy and set it up when I'm going back to gether (going to have a look at the carb, water pump and thermostat while I'm in here) probably be next week when I do. Regards

Post by 24mech » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:31 pm
Well... took the carb apart the other day and as you can see she was a little dirty,
Image Carb Bowl
Image Carb Bowl
Image not seen a black Butterfly on a petrol before :? ...
Image Inlet Gauze
Image Inlet Gauze
Image Inlet Gauze screw cap
I've cleaned it up as best I could and fitted an inline fuel filter (still waiting for my electric pump to come in the post) to help minimize the stuff getting into the bowl, I've got the inlet manifold back on the engine and it starts and runs okay considering I've not timed it up yet(still got the front off atm so I didn't want to run it too long) I'll do a compression test when I can get it warmed up properly and post the results here. Any ideas what caused the black butterfly? could it just be becouse its been running on choke for as long as the last owner was running it, he told me to leave it on a little when driving and she'll be okay, (not what I'm going to be doing though as setting the tappets and cleaning the carb should help me set the timing and idle speed correclty so it won't need choke when running) I know carbon is a problem on diesel vehicles is this something I should look at or.....? Regards

Post by 24mech » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:54 pm
Pulled the master cylinder off and apart as it was leaking down the survo and found the rear stuck up with gunk and incroaching on the seal face, I've cleaned it,rebuilt it and refitted it so far (48hrs)all seams okay just got to bleed and adjust (had new cylinders all round and new shoes on the front)them up properly now on to the next :D

Got enough of the front end back together (radiator back in) to run her up and have come across another issue :( when shes hot she's very slow to crank :? I'm going to warm her up again tomorrow and see if the engine is tight to turn when warm or if its a starter problem, I'm sure the battery is good (a shiney new heavy duty one) and the oil pressure too (though the pressure switch failed yestarday) as there is oil leaking from the rear main area when its running. Anybody got any ideas or know causes of slow hot cranking?

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:43 pm
Youve certainly cracked on with the engine rebuild , the light at the tunnel is in sight , that's what I tell myself anyway.
Sorry can't help you on the oily bits , but cheering you on all the same . :thumb:

John

Return to “Blogs”