Gearbox upgrade.

Post by doujoy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:14 pm
Hi to all,

After acquiring an overdrive gearbox last summer I have finally got around to fitting it which has take me two days, due to alterations and fitting a new centre bearing mount and my own brand of anti-rattle gear-stick kit.
The only problem I have left to solve is the speedo cable being too short to reach the tail-shaft by about two inches, but something will come mind.
Took it for a short test drive today and the gearbox is fine but the overdrive solenoid seems to work when it feels like it, clicking away fine when stopped I can hear it engage so another test drive tomorrow after topping up the gear-oil.
Once all the gremlin's are out of the way I should get a few more miles to the gallon, its quite a high gearing when it does decide to work.

doujoy

Re: Gearbox upgrade.

Post by doujoy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:05 am
Hi to all,

All now working well once the electrical connections and oil levels were corrected, quite a high gear difference in third and fourth so it should be quite an increase in miles per gallon.
Speedo still to be sorted out but a visit to a breakers yard might be a means of solving that.

doujoy

Re: Gearbox upgrade.

Post by doujoy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:46 pm
Hi to all,

A recently fitted Ford type nine gearbox has arrived from my friend in north Wales which gave him trouble on its maiden voyage after just a couple of hundred miles.
On early inspection with just the lid and tail-shaft off it appears the front main-shaft oil seal has failed losing most of the gear-oil which has allowed the front main-shaft bearing to run dry over heat and break up, the input shaft has then been able to move forward ripping all the teeth off of fourth gear against the front casing of the gearbox.
To get him back onto the road for the rest of the season he is converting back to a Bedford four speed gearbox, one which I have rebuilt and sent down to him.
He should have it by Tuesday afternoon and having kept all the Bedford parts from his conversion work it will be a straight-forward job for him to changeover and get moving again.

doujoy

Return to “Blogs”