Landcruiser without an engine.

Post by doujoy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:45 pm
Hi to all,

Jason's 1972 Land-cruiser or should I say one of them, is about to get an engine installed on the 23rd it is all built with timing set up and ready to lower into the body but first we must visit his lockup just to see if I can out what he has done with the bel-housing bolts, it would be nice to have some before we start.
If we can get it into place on the Saturday and start to work towards getting it started on the Sunday provided we can find a battery with enough power to get it turning over, wiring is a mess so I will have to rig up feeds to the coil and starter.
Once life is established it is time to start looking for the engine loom which he says is around somewhere in this lock up, should be interesting.
He would like to be on the road for the start of the season but he has a lot of work to do before that can happen, once the engine is fitted and running that should be my contribution finished.

doujoy

Re: Landcruiser without an engine.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:13 pm
Nice one Doug how's the starting handle doing?.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by doujoy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:56 pm
Hi VDUB384,

The starting handle is working a treat on these very frosty mornings, I might even make a starter dog up for the Land-cruiser that Jason's rebuilding once it has an engine.

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:01 pm
Hi to all,

Well now the Land-cruiser has an engine in place after a great search for belhousing bolts it is sitting on its engine mounts after dealing with seized thrust races and out of place clutch release arms and a great deal of weather exposed rust.
Hope to move things on a bit quicker during this week having a starter and a battery
to hand, once the fuel lines are coupled up along with a clutch cable and a throttle cable it will be time to breathe some life into the old girl.
But even then it will have a long way to go before it is road worthy, the wiring has been seriously messed with by someone and I don't know if all the parts are there
and the brakes will have to be striped cleaned and checked.
So what you might call an on-going job for quite some time to come!

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:27 pm
Hi to all,

Well with the engine mounting sorted and fitted and the clutch release arm bell crank and cable all fitted and working I found time to fit the fuel pump distributor plug leads and coil, with the battery in place we got 12 volts at the starter and coil and a spark at the points, managed to adapt two suitable bolts for the starter motor and make up two fuel line connections.
So Jason's Land-cruiser is slowly getting there but it looks like we need an exhaust front pipe and the dash board wiring is a bit of a mess and the lighting loom has been cut off by whoever removed the front lights, managed to find and put in place the starter loom and the alternator loom but no feed to the IGN. switch, oh what fun I am having!

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 pm
Hi to all,

Now that the starter bolt problem has been resolved tomorrow I can get the wiring to the starter and alternator sorted out along with the Ign. feed which I hope will give me some electrical power to all the right places.
Fuse box connections seem to be good as are the fuses but there might be a few rusty spades and terminals to clean up due to the outdoor exposure of the last few months.
I am not going to use the fuel from the petrol tank because I have the feeling it might be contaminated, so the tank will have to be removed and cleaned out before fresh fuel can be filled.
This old Bedford has been very messed about with so it still has a long way to go!

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:06 pm
Hi to all,

The latest on Jason's Land-cruiser is that the engine is now running just the radiator and some coolant to take care of and it will be drive-able and once the sparky gets the lights and wiring shorted out it can go for an MOT test.
After that the bodywork and inside fittings will be done by Jason and another old Bedford will be back from the scrapheap and on the road.

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 pm
Hi to all,

Tomorrow Friday a very clever sparks I know will take a look at what used to be the dash-board and lighting and heater wiring and we hope rewire everything from the fuse box through-out the van, due to some butchery that has been done by who-ever decided to break up the van sometime in the past.
His work will take us a lot closer to an MOT test and Jason's plans for the interior rebuild.

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 pm
Hi to all,

Jason's Bedford suffered a small set back on Sunday when the fuel pump decided to stop lifting fuel so another fuel pump has been found and will be fitted on the next visit, however the front panels were put back into place and will be welded at a later time.
Unfortunately whoever replaced the front cross-member has not refitted the brackets that support the radiator so a bit more welding needed there, at the moment the radiator is being held in place with vise-grips because welding in a straw filled barn is not likely to turn out well!
But we are getting there just not as fast as Jason would like us to but it has been a lot of work and there is still a way to go.

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:11 am
Hi to all,

Land-cruiser is now up and running having replaced the fuel so it is now able to draw its own fuel up from the tank, timing and carb are set and it sounds good.
But we have developed a water leak from the front of the engine, hard to see exactly from where until I take the radiator back out, could the water pump or a core plug.
I thought things were going a bit too well!!
No the up side my old Bedford is now taxed and back on the road, seems to be running ok, had it off for a journey yesterday when I was out at Jason's Bedford so a nice 22 mile trip just to check things out.

doujoy

Return to “Blogs”