Re: valves , time to sort them out .

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 am
I know the feeling John it's happened to me twice always at night the first time I was only going down the road and back I took the headlight switch apart and cleaned it then it was okay until about a 2 month ago I was going to pick my granddaughter up from work started the camper up and to my delight no headlamps I had to go so after switching off and on a few times still nothing. I set off thinking if I need headlight which I did I could use the headlamp flash as that is wired differentntly after traveling about half a mile the headlamps came on- on there own and they have seemed to be alright since.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:26 pm
I was thinking of separating the two halves and cleaning the male bits with every paper and squirting electrical cleaner stuff into the holey bits but thought better of it in case something else didn't work afterwards , as an old boss of mine used to say 'let's see what develops'', it never ended good :cry:

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:02 pm
Worst case is terminals disintegrating due to corrosion.

Fix avoiding replacement of the wiring harnesses is to remove terminal remains so that affected wires can be connected together colour for colour through the connector base and plug using good quality non-insulated butt crimp of appropriate dimensions. (Bulkhead connector only required for production line assembly, deleted entirely for CF2 models.)

Repair connections can be soldered for added security, or soldered Western Union splices can be used in place of crimp connectors but splices can be difficult to keep tidy with thicker stranded wires and increase the bulk of each repair.

Hole left in bulkhead connector after extracting a terminal can be opened up with a twist drill to provide clearance for wire to be pulled through to make a repair.

Affected plug has to be sliced open with a knife to remove each damaged terminal and its wire after which a hot rod (e.g. heated twist drill shank) can be used to provide clearance for each repaired wire.

Glue-lined heat shrink sleeve can be used for insulation and waterproofing. Also provides good mechanical support each side of a repair.

Use silicone sealant to stick together sliced edges of plug/s and around repaired wires to deter water ingress into the cab. Clear silicone 703 (eBay) is good for this and similar spot applications: much more fluid than conventional RTV silicone, fast cure above room temperature (hair dryer or hot air gun, whichever comes to hand) and good physical properties for use in areas not directly exposed to the weather.

Should keep you amused for a while if you find any green terminals about to crumble to dust ... :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:46 pm
:shock:

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Have just acquired a vauxhall gearbox , apparent condition unknown as its been lying around scrapyard since time immemorial so no guarantee it's any use but for £30 it's worth is punt , so to strip it down and rebuild it if it's any good , over what's left of the winter , not had a chance to give it a coat of looking at yet as Im fighting off a cold . I'll see if I can remember how it's done from when Phil stripped my old one down,anyway Haines manual at the ready , :thumb:

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 pm
Bollards to Haynes: what you need is the real McCoy, i.e. Group 8 (pages 1 to 28) of GM Service Training Manual TS1234 1984.

PM on its way ...
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:29 pm
Thanks Phil

Couldn't open the pdf file for some odd reason , might be my Kindle playing up , will try it on a grown up computer ,

Thanks for posting.

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 pm
Stripping the gearbox first thing that was evident was after taking off the cover of the turret cover plate was bits missing on closer inspection the cross shaft was broken where it links to the gear stick which was also missing .
removing the cover on the gear box found the innards looked ok at first site , but removing the layshaft revealed a couple of teeth missing couple of teeth off one of the gears, [ complete lump is donald ducked wether one is available in good nick ???.
also the cover on the output shaft is chipped an needs replacing are the common on the 3/4speed boxes other than that the only other damage is some roller bearings are m issin I found some broken worn ones from the rear near the extension that fell out when I took the bolts out , I think they were the cause of the chipped teeth on the damaged gear wheel. about five rollers or so missing probably in the gear oil when it was drained for shipping to me .

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:07 pm
MOT time coming round again , time to go over the van , noticed that the steering rack gaiter is ripped and torn , that's a job I did last year was supposed to be a cf part but was some shitty re manufactured gaiter that didn't seem long enough , the type of universal thing you cut the end out to fit .
nearside outrigger needs a patch under the front passenger floor and some patching up under the drivers floor , new rocker cover cork seal to go on to sort an oil leak and check the tappet clearances while I'm at it , other than that its running just fine .

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 pm
mooching underneath and noticed that the offside steering rack gaiter was torn in two places , inquired at the club stores but not available , but Phil gave me the reference number Qinton Hazel QG1062 , couldnt get one readily so got a QG 1227 {as used on MGB and Fiesta to name a few} from a local MG spares shop which fitted OK which is slightly longer and not too stretched at full lock a pair for the price of £7.45 with metal fasteners .

John

Return to “Blogs”