Re: valves , time to sort them out .

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:01 pm
Starter with hammer rash failing to run usually means that it's time to replace worn brushes, hopefully before any commutator segments have separated from the armature ...

Have a look at the Howto for Lucas M35J and Delco 1.4kW units: soldering skills required for both types.

Exchange units available from the club Parts Department: go bang on the Front counter. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:44 pm
Thanks Phil
Was slow turning over sometimes , thought the battery was failing ! it obviously was the starter motor throwing a hissyy fit .
Will take the starter off and give a coat of looking at . Had it out a year ago and the commutater whatsit needed cleaning up ,had some black [email protected] on It . Just waiting for the rain to stop so I can get at the lower bolt(s) .

Phil ! get back in bed and rest you naughty boy

John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:21 pm
Took the starter motor off , had a look at the brushes and commutater surface they looked alright the worst Bush was down to a ¼" , so might be a suspect ,
hooked up to a battery and tested all the contacts the only life I could get out of it was the starter solenoid gear shooting forward , no other sign of life . :wall: I 'll have another poke around the innards , and clean the commutater and see what happens :roll: time for another brew :brew:
On the bright side I've found where the gearbox is leaking , from the bottom access plate gasket and Speedo connexion , :D

John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:46 pm
Up with the larks today putting back a repaired Startermotor , got everything in place , wired up put battery terminals on turned ignition starter .......nothing , No power to the ignition or dashboard thought the battery was dead put the charger booster on the battery ....still dead no ELECTRICS whatsoever no headlights horn trafficaters ignition dead , took battery off changed it for a new fully charged one , nothing cleaned earth terminal on battery nowt :wall: took starter off checked its operation ...ok getting a live feed to the starter the thick red lead but that direct from the battery . But nowhere else.
It was all ok the day before

So any suggestion anyone (ignore this .Phil advised the correct way :thumb: )
Last edited by johnnyonions on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:33 pm
johnnyonions wrote:... So any suggestion anyone
Suggestions here in your CF questions topic. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 pm
The starter problem is slowly resolving itself , wired up correctly now . :oops:

Still got a problem(s) 1 it won't fire up dead ignition
2. No dash instruments working except ignition and oil
Warning lights
3 solenoid getting hot
Probably all caused by same fault (me?) Probably

Having a brew a sandwich then have another go at sorting it.

John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:37 pm
Back up and running , all sorted thank to Phil's help and advise :thumb:

Just a headlight intermittent fault to sort out and a front marker light bulb replacement.

John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm
After tracing a dead headlight back to the fuzebox and it was dead on the live side traced the headlight fault to the multi plug adapter on the bulkhead , after a bit of a think , I thought what would Phil suggest ? ,
waggle the multipin connector
,I did and hey presto headlights , Hey I' m gettin the hang of this Bedford CF thing . ;)

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:39 am
Hi John I'm glad you've got the headlight working with wiggling the bulkhead connector there was obviously a bad or dirty connection that you have temporally resolved however I would strongly advise taking the connector apart and cleaning it to avoid this happening again. :D
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:31 pm
Thanks Dave it did reoccur the other evening , so it's on my next to do list someone let me out at a junction switch off the light at the switch , they didn't come back on , managed to get the delights on but Not the dipped beam , so came home on delights , as usual persisting down with rain at night when this happened , faulty switch gave it a clean but headlight needed the waggle to come back on .

JOHN

Return to “Blogs”