Re: valves , time to sort them out .

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:37 pm
A re-core will remove any doubt about the old core having choked tubes. :thumb:

Check the fan belt tension just in case: belt could have slackened off some since the tappet adjuster screws were sorted.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:06 pm
Bought a new thermostat nos , suspect it aint working properly , it didnt open at first , took it out and examined it seemed to be stuck closed , gave it a press and it moved against th spring when cold which didnt seem right , i thought the wax or whatever inside had to melt ?? , anyway going to put another one in and see what happens before I splurge out for the rad job .

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:06 am
Thermostat valve can be moved against spring pressure when cold.

Test the thermostat in a pan of water brought to the boil and using a kitchen thermometer.

Thermostat valve should be most of the way open at the temperature (°C) stamped on the flange or bulb of the thermostat. Allow ±2° C for measurement/instrument error.

As long as the thermostat is fully open (about 6mm travel) by the time the water comes to the boil it should be fine: the cooling system runs at 15psi so the coolant shouldn't boil below about 110°C.

Specified thermostat for the Vauxhall OHC petrol engine is 92°C.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 pm
Took out the radiator , it looked the worse for wear with big cobs of filament missing and hanging out and rust streaks from the top , got a few quotes for a recore with the best a couple of miles away so took it for him to look at and got a quote of £120 , seems reasonable .
Hope thats the cause of the over heating , neadle going upto the red peg after a couple of miles and a leaking rad is pushing my luck a bit to far .
A vibration when travelling coming up the steering wheel , my suspicion is its a uj on the propshaft so while Im waiting for the rad to be fettled I.m going to give the prop a coat of looking at ! I got a pair of uj's off ebay was assured they was the right ones but dont have the grease nipples ? , they'll.go on anyway if they match sizes. Weather permitting of course .

John

Post by Charlene » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:16 pm
Not sure what the tapper adjustments should be set at can anyone help me please

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:14 pm
Hi
According to the Haynes book , (2.3 petrol engine) intake 7-10 thou. , exhaust 15-18 thou on a hot engine , if its cold then add 3 thou extra ,

Numbering From the front to back of the cam housing
No1 , 3 ,5, 7, tappets is exhausts
No.2 ,4 6, 8 tappets isInlets.

Hope this helps
John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon May 16, 2016 12:31 pm
The overheating problem is still ongoing , after having the radiator recored I thought that was the end of it , not so lucky , after about five mile of urban driving the temp guage needles in the red and the engine starts playing up running on three cylinders , popping and rough running.
Checked the plugs and they were a nice beige colour and seemed ok , put the strobe light on the timing marks and it was about thirty degrees out :shock:
Tried to adjust the dizzy round but ran out of adjustment . Cant understand this as Ive not adjusted the timimg since Phil sorted out the tappets for me . Looks like I need to have the cam cover off to see if the tappets have closed up again. Just hoping the overheating hasnt caused any damage. :wall:

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon May 16, 2016 2:17 pm
Sounds like contact breaker points closed up to shift timing that much ...

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon May 16, 2016 5:32 pm
Theres no points in it Phil , I put one of the electonic things in cant remember the name of it off the top of my head . The cheap n nasty one.
Had a look at the tappet clearances
These are the readings cold engine.
Pot 1. Exhaust. 16. Inlet. 9
Pot 2. " 18 " 9
Pot 3. " 9. " 8
Pot 4. " 20 " 10
Could understand why I was dropping a cylinder with the pot3 readings when it overheats.
Will look over the ignition timing tomorrow .

Cheers John

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Mon May 16, 2016 5:34 pm
Hi John have you tried checking the timing static to see what it is it's worth a try or like Phil said the points could have closed up but if they've closed that much I think it would affect the running of the engine.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Return to “Blogs”