Re: Progress

Post by emirspb » Fri May 06, 2016 7:42 am
excellent work!! :thumb:

Post by na79 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:47 pm
Getting very close to having all the sections necessary to rebuild the NS side now. The NS rear door pillar has had the bottom section replaced and I've welded back in the support that mount to the floor/chassis, and also the lower door hinge mounting plate.

The NS outer sill is also prepped ready to fit.

I've been working a lot on the NS inner arch and have got it to the stage I can work on it to repair the lip that welds to the outer arch, and also a couple of other small sections where it attaches to the floor and surrounding areas. I'm going to leave the inside of it scruffy for now as I'm not cleaning up the underneath until the majority of the bodywork is finished.

Last edited by admin on Sun May 08, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Post by na79 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:02 pm
The next big task was to start work on all the repairs to the NS wall panel. It had suffered in the usual places, all along the bottom edge whee it joins to the sill and rear corner. It had gone around the wheel arch. Also, the back edge that fixes to the rear door pillar was gone at the hinge mounts, and at another point between them too. The rest of the panel is in pretty good shape, the join between the two panels is good, the lip that welds to the front door pillar is good, and where the skin meets the brace bars on the inside are also good. The rust along the bottom edge hasn't really got any higher than the recessed detail on the bottom of the panels, so it should be easy to retain that detail with some careful cutting and welding. Realised that what I could really do with is a 4 foot long sheet metal bender for creating new lips for panels, but I'll have to try my best to make something work.

The is the wall section tidied up.

And these are the repairs to the rear door pillar hinge areas.

I'm going to try to get all the various sections finished this week so that I then have everything ready to go. I've re-positioned my van under some joists in the yard as I'm going to try to build the whole side section flat of the floor in the same way as the factory did it, and then lift it all up as one piece to mount to the floor of the van. It will probably take me a week to fix all the side sections together and get it all painted. And then I can re attach it.
Last edited by admin on Sun May 08, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:10 pm
It's taking me longer to prep everything ready to refit the NS side, and the other day my welder started playing up as I was welding the bottom lip on the wall section. I've been working hard to get it ready and have finally started to see some progress.

The wall section is clearly built with two sections, a straight forward pretty much rectangular front section, and the more complicated rear arch/door pillar wrap around back section. At two points there are also ribs to give them strength, one is from top of the inner arch to the roof. The other is longer and welded to the join of the two panels, and goes from the sill to the roof. The bottom of this rib had rusted along with my sills/arches, so once I'd cut the bad sections of wall away I had to deal with the bottom of the rib. The bottom of it also tucks into the sill lip recess. This is the repaired section.

Once this was sorted I then made a new lip for the bottom of the front wall section and tidied up that. I don't have a sheet steel bender so I had to make something to bend the new section. It worked OK but slightly warped it. It will pull back straight once I weld it to the sill, but it was slightly annoying. This is it tacked in place.

And this is the outside of the lip once tidied up.

Last edited by admin on Tue May 10, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:20 pm
With that sorted it was now time to tackle the rear arch repair. I'd been thinking about the best way to do this for a while, and decided that of all the areas to make the repair the flat front face of the arch which is most proud from the body, would be the best. It would be the easiest place to try and get a good flat weld, and also to grind back to a decent surface.

I also decided that instead of cutting the sections in a curve following the arch, I would cut a series of straight lines within the curve. This would give me more precision with alignment, fitting, adjustment, and fitting.

These were the initial cuts to the wall and new donor section.

I then tacked it all in.

And once ground down and tidied up looks like new!

I still have a couple of repairs to make to the NS wall section. The bottom edge of the wall at the back where it meets the rear 1/4 panel needs a new lip all the way round, and the arch lip that welds to the inner arch needs work. But I'm very close to having a repaired NS wall!!!
Last edited by admin on Tue May 10, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Wed May 11, 2016 3:27 pm
Hi Nick, coming along nicely :thumb:
Still following your updates on holiday in Thailand sweating it out at 37c hot hot hot
Keep up the great work

Tor

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Thu May 12, 2016 8:15 am
Yes keep up the good work Nick your really going to town on it,I've rebuilt a few vw bay windows in the past but nothing like your doing you must have plenty of patience I would have deemed it fit for scrap so well done.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by na79 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:36 pm
So, things are coming along nicely. I very luckily won an amazing section of van on eBay. It was the whole NS rear 1/4 panel, including the lower corner, door pillar, and a couple of small inner sections. It has tons of usable areas, and I will take sections I need and re-sell the rest, there will be the entire door pillar and outer skin, and the lower 1/4 panel/sill section, also the small inner panels left over for other people to use. I've already repaired the arch on my nearside panel. But it looks like the arches are symmetrical on both sides, so I can use it for the OS. That also means I will have a fairly good outer arch section to sell on.

I broke most of the panel down into it's component sections, and then cut the back corner lip from the panel to repair mine.

Then welded it on, tidied it up and tested it for fit.

Last edited by admin on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm
Next was the repair of the arch lip and surrounding area.

Last edited by admin on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:44 pm
So now finally the whole NS wall is repaired. I only need to drill the holes for the rear door hinges.

I also did all the necessary repairs to my inner arch, welded in new corner sections, and replaced as much of the lip as was needed.

That means next week is going to be a big one! The only piece I need to make is the small fill panel that joins the inner and outer sill in the wheel arch, and I'm going to sort that out while in between getting all the side sections fixed together. Hopefully by the end of next week the NS side of my van will be back together again, and I can then cut the OS side off!!!!! Very exciting!
Last edited by admin on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Blogs”